Is My Tank Almost Cycled?

Jhncf

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all, started fishless cycling on Sunday, tested the water and of course ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0 and nitrate was 0. Added pure ammonia up to 4 ppm. Yesterday I got some sand, a bucket of water with filter sponges squeezed into it and filter media from a friends aquarium which has been running for several months and added all of this to my tank. I tested my water today and my ammonia was 0.25, my nitrite was 0.5 and my nitrate was 60. Just wondering if this means my tank is almost cycled as the nitrate is present? Thanks :)

Many more that can give more scientific answers, but that's certainly sped up the cycle by the looks of it..

However, be totally sure by waiting till theyre at 0 (Ammonia and NitrIte) and then add the ammonia source again  and see if readings are 0/0 in 24 hours.

Also, did you test to see that ammonia was indeed at 4ppm? From what I've read, even media from a mature tank should only speed up the process by a week or so?

Im also at the latter stages of a Fishless cycle but mins coming up to 5 weeks - from scratch mind you

Thanks for the reply :) yes was definitely 4ppm, I dosed it back up to 4 again today so I guess I'll just have to see how much it goes down by tomorrow

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back