Is my Swordtail pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

COYOTE711

Reaction score
I bought 2 Kohaku Swordtails about 5 days ago. One of them was bloated, and I bought her because I figured she was pregnant. I'm pretty sure they're were males in the tank. She seemed to have gotten bigger since I got her, and I just want to make sure I didn't buy a sick fish instead of a pregnant one. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    745.2 KB · Views: 252
  • image.png
    image.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 160
  • image.png
    image.png
    503.4 KB · Views: 162
She probably is, but her fins also looked clamped. Is she eating and acting normal? I know it's only been a few days but she should of adjusted to the new tank by now=no clamped fins.

If she came from a community tank at the store it is pretty much guaranteed that she is gestating some babies for you. Congrats your going to be a parent! I agree with the above post that she may not be the happiest at the moment. Hopefully she's still getting used to her new home. Some quick tips to calm her down: Keep the room the tank is in relatively calm and dark, if there's too much noise and activity outside the tank this could stress her out. Also ensure the tank is clean (vacuum the gravel well the next time you change the water, and perhaps do a slightly larger water change to ensure the water is super clean.) Make sure the tank is at a decent temperature (Somewhere around 77 F is ideal for most live bearers). Try and feed her a high protein diet, as she needs good food to help the fry develop properly. Most commercial fish foods will mention mean protein and other important info on the label.)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back