Is My Swordtail Pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Liquidhydro

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to this forum. The reason why I have created an account here is because I am quite confused with whether my swordtail is pregnant or not. I have read some articles about the pregnancy in swordtail and they all seem to have a rounded shape when if they are pregnant and is about to give birth.

The attached photo below is the swordtail I am talking about (the middle one). It also have a rounded shape and it appears to grow more rounder and rounder as days past by. I have had this fish for around 2 to 3 months with a Rosy Barb, a puffer fish and a few other swordtails.

If it is pregnant, do I need to do anything to prepare it to give birth?

P.S.: My puffer fish is quite new to the tank, about a week from I bought it, it hasn't been eating anything and only made some attempt eating some stuffs, didn't see it swimming in the tank actively and finding food to eat. Is it having too much stress?

Thanks everyone in advance.

It would help if you could post a pic? but with swordtails you can just assume they are pregnant all the time. also are you sure your fish is female?

You don't need to do anything for your pregnant fish. Make sure there's plenty of plants in the tank, for the fry to hide in, if you want to keep some.

Puffer fish shouldn't be kept with other fish; they're far too aggressive. Some also need brackish water, and can grow very, very big, so it might not be suitable for your tank; do you know what species it is?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back