Is My Shrimp Pregnant

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

James_loveless

Reaction score
Hi All,

My sister gave me a couple of her shrimp about a month ago and one was pregnant or so I thought, well, she still looks pregnant.........

She is a ghost shrimp and the eggs are in sections which I assume are her swimming legs, they are a grey colour and at close inspection they certainly all look like eggs.

I feel this is a bit strange as I thought they only had a short gestational period.

Any advice, comments or suggestions gratefully received.

James

Thanks for the link, I think i have the Amano Shrimp looking at the pics on that site.

Unfortunately i've got no pics ATM but will try tonight.

So they give you an idea of how to breed the shrimp, but if i'm unable to do this, will it harm the shrimp if she doesn't drop the eggs and keep them on her?

My sister says hers have been with eggs for months... not sure what to do......?????????

Sorry I really cannot say...

I am just looking into buying Amano shrimp for my tank, So i know just as much as you :blush:

I will be following this topic though as I would like to know also!

If you have amano shrimp then the eggs are not going to come to anything. They live in fresh water but actually need salt water to hatch the eggs and the young to survive - the shrimp migrate to salt water to lay then go back to fresh water! The eggs take up to a month to hatch and when they do you wont be able to see the lava they are so small and as I said wont survive. If your shrimp are well fed then they will be producing and carrying eggs most of the time - chances are the ones they are carrying are not the same batch as you first saw.

No they wont cause a problem. If you want to have a go at raising them I can give you a link to an article. You will of course need male and female shrimps for the eggs to be fertile. The way to sex them is the females have 'broken' brown lines along their body- more like 'dots' whereas the males tend to be one long line.

Shrimp link

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back