Is my new fish sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lucyxlocket

Reaction score
Hi there,

I bought some new fish today at pets at home, neon tetras and dwarf rainbows. The woman in the shop did not show us the fish and placed them in a brown bag. After returning home and acclimating the fish, we let them out into the tank and I noticed one of the dwarf rainbows who is female and looking bloated has some sort of blackish spots on one side? None of the other fish have this and I was unsure of what it could be. Being relatively new to owning fish I rang pets at home and spoke to them and they said the fish was fine. Hours later the fish is staying at the top of the tank gasping for air. None of the other fish are doing this. Regardless I ensured more air was being pumped into the tank and nothing has changed. Is my new fish sick?

Can you try getting some close ups on the wounds? The first thing that comes to mind is wounds either from being picked on or anchor worms, but you should see some brownish/white/green "threads" coming from the wound for it to be anchor worms.

It is a good idea to separate the rainbow as a weak and distressed fish will usually be bullied by the others in the tank.

take the fish back and get it replaced. It is deformed and covered in disease.

This morning the fish is not eating either. I think I will return it today. I knew they were not experts and may not know everything but they should at least check the fish before selling and not call me paranoid when I call with a concern for the fishes health.

Yes, I have a male rainbow as well who looks like the image and is healthy.

I returned the fish to pets at home and they agreed he is sick. They were unable to identify what illness it was but replaced the fish for me. thanks for the responses

Most reactions

Back