Is My Molly About To Give Birth Again Or Is She Sick?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jessithebuckeye

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello!

As some of you know, I bought a Gold Dust (Petco called it "Golden Panda" but oookay) Molly and named him Buzz. Turns out Buzz was a girl and was VERY pregnant and gave birth to 14 healthy baby fry on August 1st. =]

I only had a 2.5 gallon tank at the time, and quickly rushed out and bought a 10 gallon tank and a plastic "breeder net" (not really a net but more of a separator) and some small fish food. I also crushed up some flakes for them.

I am happy to report as of 20 days they ALL made it! YIPPEE!

Momma Buzz is looking tired though. 

She just sits at the bottom of the tank. I've done the 10-20 percent water changes everyday, changed the filters, and scooped out some of her uneaten food. When I change the water, she swims around a bit. I noticed her belly looked really swollen. I suspect she is having another batch of fry, since I heard they can give multiple sets with no male around. She is the only adult in the tank. She also seems to have poo hanging from her hind end a lot too.
Should I be concerned that it's constipation or is she likely pregnant and about to give birth? She is not breathing heavy or gulping for air, just lazy at the bottom!

Thank you! The picture uploaded is from 4 days ago. =]
945816_361048094026792_2036152577_n.jpg

My balloon molly that was pregnant stayed at the bottom a lot but i see no reason to be worried about that as fish do rest.  As far as her belly being huge, well that's most likely because she pregnant ^_^, it should have a squareish look to it when she is close to having her fry.  My molly had the same problem with the poop hanging from her and that is just because she is getting over fed, so i would cut down on the amount of food you are giving her maybe 2 or 3 good sized flakes of food once a day, which is what i gave mine and see if that's makes a difference.  Also a great treat for the fry would be some frozen baby brine shrimp and maybe even for the mommy some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms (they will go crazy and it is a great source of protein for them and will make them much healthier fry) :).

I never thought about her being fed too much! I'll have to watch my generous portions to her. =] If she has more fry to I add them to the breeder net or let the 3 week old fry out to swim freely and put the younger fry in the net (if that happens!)

yeah by three weeks they should be big enough for the mother not to be able to eat them anymore, the only other thing you should check is whether or not they can get sucked into the filter.  if those two things are okay than you should be all set to let them go with the mother.

What do you mean exactly by you changed the filters?

Oh, sorry! I didn't have any medium filters so I fit 2 of the small filters in there. I am going out today to get more. What else can I get to lower the ammonia and nitrates their waste produces? I use a water conditioner but the water still seems cloudy even after I change 10-20 percent of the water. =[

Here's the thing the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep the water parameters good compared to a larger tanks.  What i do is i have a good mature media setup so that the ammonia and nitrite are taken car of and won't harm the fish.  Then i do about 40% water change (usually 3 gallons) every Monday, so once a week, and between the plants and water changes i am able to keep up with the nitrate levels.  

With the extra fry you should be doing extra water changes just to make sure the levels REALLY stay stable.

I went out to get new filters, and went ahead and bought an ammonia test kit and some SeaChem Prime. Happy to say after using the Prime, the Ammonia level is either very low or nonexistent! YAY!

Just took a picture of Buzz - she looks preggo to me! What do the experts say?! 
mtni.jpg

yeah she does look very close to having some fry. Female mollies usually have fry about once a month for about six months after being impregnated, even if the male is removed
happy.png

Holy cow, I had no idea ! I bought 2 pregnant mollies 3 mos ago and read this because one of mine looks pregnant again with no male. :eek:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back