Is my Inca/Mystery snail alive???

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

carlobellina

Reaction score
I purchased him yesterday and he hasn't moved at all. I checked for stink but there was none. I noticed he was completely in his shell before I put him in my tank and now he's peeking out just alittle bit. But truly hasn't moved at all.
6fb702ab2b000c8e41e03b53a47f68bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Snails can do weird things, they will go a bit of time periodically with no movement, then sometimes float around on top of the tank.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

When we first added a Mystery Snail to a tank, they did the exact same thing for a couple of days.
It could be that they are stressed or nervous due to the change in environment, just like any other animal.

Don't worry too much as they can hide out for several days before finally 'coming out of their shell'.
It still would be a good idea to take them out and give 'em a sniff once a day to make sure it hasn't died though. Dead snails can cause quite an ammonia spike. Still, only do this once in a day so that you aren't stressing them even more. It may be tempting to poke at their meaty bits to see if they'll move, but don't do this! Our human-ey oils aren't good for their skin and most of the time touching them just makes them stiffen up even more. Be sure not to get any air in their shell putting them back - It won't kill them, but it's not really comfortable either. It could make them float around too, which I imagine is probably pretty disorienting!

If they're still not coming out in a few days and they aren't dead, try putting some soaked cucumber or an algae wafer near them so that they don't starve themselves.

Best of luck! Mystery Snails are surprisingly interesting little guys! Nice to have in a tank.

Last edited:
He finally moved and is exploring the tank. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back