is my guppy prego?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guppy._.lover

Reaction score
photo.php

I kept her in a different tank so that at least some dry may survive but now I think she isnt dull because it's been like a week

Attachments

• IMG_20170703_182521.jpg
    IMG_20170703_182521.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 131
She probably is pregnant (you can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time) but she's not that big, so she probably has a while to go (although it can be hard to tell with younger females, as they don't get as big as older ones).

All female livebearers are better being left in the main tank; add lots of live plants if you want some fry to survive, unless your spare tank is at least five gallons and is properly heated, filtered and well planted.

Please also bear in mind that stress can make the fish either 'hold on' to their fry, or abort the litter. Moving the fish frequently, and putting them in small jars (even if it's just for a picture), is going to be very stressful.

Concentrate on keeping the fish, in the main tank, well fed, with good water and plenty of plants, and they will breed perfectly happy without any intervention from you :)

Last edited:
She probably is pregnant (you can assume that all female livebearers are pregnant, all the time) but she's not that big, so she probably has a while to go (although it can be hard to tell with younger females, as they don't get as big as older ones).

All female livebearers are better being left in the main tank; add lots of live plants if you want some fry to survive, unless your spare tank is at least five gallons and is properly heated, filtered and well planted.

Please also bear in mind that stress can make the fish either 'hold on' to their fry, or abort the litter. Moving the fish frequently, and putting them in small jars (even if it's just for a picture), is going to be very stressful.

Concentrate on keeping the fish, in the main tank, well fed, with good water and plenty of plants, and they will breed perfectly happy without any intervention from you :)
After you told me to put her back in the main tank I did for a while she was doing okay and when I came to check in the morning she and her male pair were dead they were the only breading pair and when I check if she gave birth to any fry I found one and that was the last when I dissected her I found 20 fry :(

I'm really sorry to hear that. Something must be wrong in your tank for that to happen :(

How big is the tank and how long have you had it running? Do you have water test kits? What fish do you have in it?

I'm really sorry to hear that. Something must be wrong in your tank for that to happen :(

How big is the tank and how long have you had it running? Do you have water test kits? What fish do you have in it?
It's a 25 gallon tub it has been running for a month and there were 9 guppies before their death now there are 7 the only difference of the tub from a tank is there is nothing at the bottom no gravel and my local pet store don't sell test kits :(

Do you have a filter, and have you been doing water changes?

Do you have a filter, and have you been doing water changes?
Today I bought 2 pairs of black phantom guppies they did very well when put them in the main tank to my surprise this morning there were fry in the tank I can see 3 but I think there's more

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back