Is my green terror a hybrid ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sicklidcommunity

Reaction score
Got them recently both juveniles and arent fully coloured up i was wondering if they are hybrids

I dont think they are hybrids but... they dont really belong in that tank. GTs are South American fish and need softer water with a lower ph, they can technically tollerate the higher ph and harder water that the Africans need to live in but its not advisable.

They will also not be used to the behaviour of the Africans so you will end up with conflict and GTs are pretty rough and tough anyway so should give as good as they get but you will end up with quite big fights. Especially when the GTs get a bit bigger and approach sexual maturity.

Personally I would either set them up in their own tank - idealy 75g+ or rehome them and stick to Africans.

Wills

I dont think they are hybrids but... they dont really belong in that tank. GTs are South American fish and need softer water with a lower ph, they can technically tollerate the higher ph and harder water that the Africans need to live in but its not advisable.

They will also not be used to the behaviour of the Africans so you will end up with conflict and GTs are pretty rough and tough anyway so should give as good as they get but you will end up with quite big fights. Especially when the GTs get a bit bigger and approach sexual maturity.

Personally I would either set them up in their own tank - idealy 75g+ or rehome them and stick to Africans.

Wills
Thanks for the information wills, the lfs i got them from had them along with african cichlids so im guessing they are used to being around africans and the africans i own have been brought up in only RO water even at the store (ph-7) . I shall take necessary actions soon as i notice conflicts and or when the green terror outgrows my tank .

Most reactions

Back