Is My Ghost Shrimp Carrying Eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

monahan95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyG3ye_ul-E&list=UUfOf7CYNr2PVpat8521pykg

Is my ghost shrimp definitely carrying eggs? If so should I remove her from my tank?

Yes she is definitely carrying eggs and in the video is fanning them vigerously.
What would be your aim in removing her from the tank? If it is to try and save any potential shrimplets then I would be setting up and trying to mature another tank as quickly as possible. You will also need an infusoria culture on the ready for when the shrimplets (or in the case of ghost shrimp larva hatch). You will also need to be ready to turn the filter off on any tank you have the berried female in once she starts releasing the hatching larva, as the larva will mostly get sucked straight into a filter and perish. And if you see the female releasing her young, try not to disturb her, other wise she will go into hiding and if the larva don't all get released in a certain time frame they will die.

Baccus said:
Yes she is definitely carrying eggs and in the video is fanning them vigerously.
What would be your aim in removing her from the tank? If it is to try and save any potential shrimplets then I would be setting up and trying to mature another tank as quickly as possible. You will also need an infusoria culture on the ready for when the shrimplets (or in the case of ghost shrimp larva hatch). You will also need to be ready to turn the filter off on any tank you have the berried female in once she starts releasing the hatching larva, as the larva will mostly get sucked straight into a filter and perish. And if you see the female releasing her young, try not to disturb her, other wise she will go into hiding and if the larva don't all get released in a certain time frame they will die.

Thanks for the advice, i'll get a spare tank matured as quickly as possible. I will keep use posted :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back