Is my female betta sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mist

Reaction score
I recently just purchased some female bettas and I have just noticed this one is looking unwell with fin damage. does anyone know what is up cause I feel useless at the min and don't want it to die. I appreciate all the help . There are also pictures I have added to show you a comparison. Thx
WP_20170513_10_23_23_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170513_20_57_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170513_20_57_32_Pro.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 221
She looks stressed.

How many girls do you have?
How big is the tank?
How long has the tank been set up?
What are your water parameters?
Can you provide a photo of the whole tank?

Just by looking at that photo I can tell you do not have enough plants for 1 Betta let alone a sorority.

I have 3, tank is 54 litres, been set up for months, water tested by shop I brought the fish from and it was all good so it can't be my water I'll add a photo now.
Thankyou do u think the betta has fin rot thou? Did u see the image attached

Here is the tank do I need more plants in sort of letting them overgrow to take cuttings bettas are hiding in the plants atm . I know it looks bad atm but don't wanna stress em out by moving plants. Thx

Attachments

• WP_20170513_23_55_40_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170513_23_55_40_Pro.jpg
    899 KB · Views: 191
Most Bettas have damaged fins when you get them, and fin damage is normal in a sorority set up.
The fins will grow back all you need is regular water changes with de chlorinated water. 50% once a week.

I still think you need more plants.

Thankyou for your support I'll keep you updated and I'll do water changes too thankyou much appreciated. What plants would u recommend I should get?

Your re build is stunning looks lovely I'm currently on a mid ranged budget so I'll have a look at them. still can't belive how awesome it looks ☺☺

Thanks.

Bettas prefer low light tanks with floating plants, You could get a few Anubias and a number of Crypts to cover the bottom.

Crypts are cheap. Plant them in the substrate.
https://www.livefish.com.au/plants-rocks-driftwood/centre/asst-bareroot-crypts-small-center.html

Maybe some Java Fern. It can be planted nearly anywhere in the aquarium and can be placed on driftwood, rocks or directly onto the gravel (but make sure not to bury it in the substrate).
https://www.livefish.com.au/plants-...a-fern-microsorium-pteropus-small-center.html

Now this bit can get expensive,
https://www.livefish.com.au/plants-rocks-driftwood/driftwood.html

But you dont have to do it all at once, buy smaller plants they will grow in, You can also take cuttings of stem plants, others will spread on their own, some you can divide.

All the plants I mentioned are easy to care for do well in low light and judging by the plants in your tank shouldn't need much in the way of fertilizer ( say 1 milliliter a week of Seachem flourish comprehensive ) , I never used anything in the old tank other than fish poo I also never vacuumed the substrate.

Heres what I lost

IMO there is no such thing as too many plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back