Is My Cycle In Fast Forward Mode?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Getting a bit frustrated.. Can anyone give me any advice/reassure me with a dose of patientce.

4 and a half weeks f/less cycling and I've come to a stand still it seems.. As it says in my post above, Last week I was getting readings of 0/0 Am and Nitrites after 48 hrs.. (Ammonia processed i believe withing 24 hrs) after adding Full dose.

So now, even though i should be nearing the end of the fishless cycle ( i have followed the article and can relate to every stage written by TTA) it seems as though Nitrites just wont shift in anything less than 48 hrs. I've done the very last stage of the Cycle 3 times (ie adding full dose and testing in 24 hrs) and getting 0-0,25 ppm Am but +5ppm.. Not until 48 hrs are the Nitrites dropping to 0ppm.

Should I just stay patient? I do have a couple friends with Freshwater tanks. Worth asking them?

That sounds like you took longer not shorter the last 2 times you added the ammonia?

The fact that you get big nitrites and then that they do drop to 0 means you must have a bunch of the nitrite bacs.

Can you check the pH for me please, jik this is the issue.

Let me offer one idea. Do a huge water change to get it all to as close to 0/0 as you can. Wait 24 hours after doing to let any detoxifying capacity in the dechlor to dissipate and then do the 3 ppm dose again and see what you get in 24 hours.

Ok sure will test pH when I get home from work (UK so few hours yet).

Thanks for the idea. Will try that tonight. It's almost like its teasing me! ha

I wrote the last post in a bit of a rush so basically, in 24hrs I have 0ppm Ammonia but 5ppm Nitrites
After 36 hours I get 0ppm Nitrites too..

Will post pH later.
Thanks again TTA, will let you know how water change goes too.

TTA here is my pH reading. Really can't fathom what the reading is!! Left is low range, right is high as I know you'll know!

Weird. Nitrites seem to be speeding up still :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 85
In testing nitrite there are two different kits- One says pH and the other high range. The idea is unless you have a bit of an idea where your pH is, you pick one of the two and test. If the low range kit is the one and it comes out at the highest reading (7.6) then you also do the high range test. If it reads 6 to less that 7.6, you know isis likely accurate. Except if it reads 6.0. I could be lower. But for most folks 6 is too low and not normal.

If you start with the high range kit, reverse the process. If it reads at the 7.4 bottom number, you would then do the low range test. If the high range reads from over 7.4 to 8.8, that is your pH except if its 8.8. But again most fish keepers don't want to be that high either.

So in your case it looks like you need to be doing both tests for pH. But what I was worried about was that it was too low.

The 0 ammonia is telling you there are a full load of ammonia bacs established. That it takes the nitrite ones 36 hours means they are not yet quit enough of them. Just keep repeating this process once the nitrites hit 0. Things should both hit 0/0 in 24 very soon. I assume what you mean by speeding up is the nitrites are dropping faster each time?

What would you say, from the pic, is my pH reading then as the pH test suggests it's over 7.6 but cant recognise the colour on the High range test on the right of the pic.

I am hoping, that come tonight when I test I'm going to get 0/0..

Fingers crossed.. Thanks for all your help

I wrote the pH stuff and failed to edit myself, it should say this:

In testing pH there are two different kits- One says pH and the other High Range pH. The idea is unless you have a bit of an idea where your pH is, you pick one of the two and test. If the low range kit is the one and it comes out at the highest reading (7.6) then you also do the high range test. If it reads 6.0 to less than 7.6, you know it is likely accurate. Except if it reads 6.0. It could be lower. But for most folks 6.0 is too low and not normal.

If you start with the high range kit, reverse the process. If it reads at the 7.4 bottom number, you would then do the low range test. If the high range reads from over 7.4 to 8.8, that is your pH except if its 8.8. It might be higher. But again most fish keepers don't want to be that high either.

Most folks will not have tap water as low as 6.0 nor above 8.8.

Thanks TTA got ya.

And I can report back that 3ppm has shifted for 0/0 in 24hours.

Good times, so I'll be testing pH again with those steps and test another 24hrs and I'm there I think :).

You are cycled. Do a big water change, make sure the water is up to temp and stock your tank.
fish.gif
fish.gif
fish.gif

Yup did an 80% - 90% change and now have some Neons and 3 panda cory. Love them...

Thanks TTA

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back