Is My Crayfish Dead? =\

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ogrt48

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've had him for about a month now, he's been perfectly fine and was still fine when I went to bed last night. I just went to feed him and noticed he molted in the corner during the night, his little shell is there. Then I found him.. he's a few inches away from it upside down and one of his front pinchers is missing =\ Is he dead for sure? He isn't moving.. or is this part of molting ? I'm scared =\

I just noticed the shell is missing the same c law, so he lost it before molting during the night, if that means anything :\

I just noticed the shell is missing the same c law, so he lost it before molting during the night, if that means anything :\

Unfortunately without being there it is very difficult to say whether he is is dead or not, but just to say, often after a moult a cray will not move, remember they are very vulnerable at this time, so don't pick it up or anything, you might try gently touching it to see if there is any movement or not, just be careful you wouldn't want to kill it if it is ok. Is there anything else in with it? if not, can you not just leave it and see what happens in the next couple of days?

I have seen crayfish appear dead on their sides for quite some time, but not on their backs. I'm betting he's gone, but I'd just leave him there for a while, a day or so perhaps.

i once had a crayfish, 'Reggie' (for obvious reasons) and he only moulted once, and he too laid on his back for 4 days before moving to eat his old shell, he then was way to big and aggressive and we had to remove him, but he was lovely, i now have an electric blue lobster in a 100 G tank and hes moulted jus once in the year that we've had him.

keep us posted as to how he's doing

Lucifer xx

Hi Lucifer, just to remind you that electric blue "lobsters" are still crayfish, though I'm glad you've found a "friendlier" one.

yeah i know, ive jus been home for some lunch and to tidy up and hes jus moulted again, i cant beleive how bi he is, im still in shock. hes been acting really weird for a while and now i know why, hes only moulted once b4 but he didnt act like he has been this time, weird!!!!!

Ah, he's dead. =\ I think the loach had killed him while he was molting. He molted in the middle of the tank instead of in his hiding spots =\ I miss him. I can't afford a new one =[

What kind of cray fish ive seen them at petland for like 2 dollars.. Just your basic crayfish.. I live in NYC i would be glad to buy you a new one lol.

That's very sad, I'm very sorry, it might make other people think though, crayfish and fish don't mix safely.

sorry for your loss

im sorry urs died, i live in the uk and mine cost £30 but some shops try and charge arounf £50 for them, unlikely that they r gona sell em tho. lol :crazy:

What kind of cray fish ive seen them at petland for like 2 dollars.. Just your basic crayfish.. I live in NYC i would be glad to buy you a new one lol.

Which petlands do you see crayfish at? The 2 here in Rego Park Queens never have any. Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back