Is My Cory Sick Or Is This Normal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reeveso

Reaction score
I just got 2 corydoras cats today from Petsmart and I was just watching them swim around and noticed that one of them has a kind of red belly. It's not completely red, but definitely noticeable. It's noticeable really only if he swims up the side of the glass so you get a good look at his belly. From the side you can't really tell.

If I had a picture I'd get a camera but unfortunately mines broke!

Anyway, is this some sort of infection or is it just the blood flowing through his body or something? If it's an infection, is there anything I can do for the poor guy?

What country are you in?

Without a pic it is hard to be sure, but it sounds like an infection. Can you describe the red patch? Is the patch under the skin or on top like a sore or a bruise? If it is under the skin and shows any lines like veins, We should treat right away.

It is possible that you could use a treatment of MelaFix and PimaFix, but lets make sure first. But if it looks like red viens under the surface treat right away for hemorrhagic septicemia.

it could be the fish was kept in bad water and has a minor infection or just red inflammation caused by the poor water quality. See how it goes over the next 24 hours and if it gets worse then it is probably a bacterial infection.
Also check your tank water quality to make sure that isn't the cause.

If you have to treat the fish then check the instructions on the pack. SOme medications recommend only using a half dose for catfish and other scaleless fishes.
Remove any carbon from the filter before treating.

If there are red streaks the treatment should be done quickly! Hemorrhagic septecemia progresses rapidly and fatally!

Half doses are not necessary for Corys with MelaFix and PimaFix. But it is obviously correct to read the instructions.

Corys tolerate meds well, as far as I have experience, except for salt dips.

Please describe the red patch, Reeveso.

Also describe the tank: size, tank mates, water stats, substrate, decore....

If you can not test the water yourself, then an lps/lfs will most likely help out.

Ok well the red isn't sore or bruise like..it's just a reddening of his skin. It doesn't look like red veins either.

The water quality should be fine. I've never had a problem and their tank buddy is a betta fish who's been in there over a month w/ absolutely no problems at all. I do 10% water changes daily. It's a 30 gallon tank as well (well, 29).

Water stats - there's a TINY amount of ammonia (probably less than .25) 0 nitrite 0 nitrate.

Decore - a few plants (not real) and a little "underwater car".

Substrate - Not really sure what to say about that lol. It doesn't really say anything about it on the bag. However the brand name is "Top Fin"

If it makes a difference, they're peppered cory's. Also, they both seem to be as healthy as can be. They chase each other around the tank and dart after each other like there's no tomorrow lol - it's actually pretty fun to watch.

I'll try to get a picture when I get home from school later if I can borrow someone's camera. The hard part is going to be getting the fish to come off the bottom of the tank so I can see his belly lol.

As for mela/pimafix...where can I get them? Would petsmart/zone have them - or walmart maybe? Petsmart and petzone are both about 30 minutes from my house - Walmart is only 15 lol

Also, it doesn't look any worse since last night. Maybe even a tad bit better if anything.

It all sounds good!

Try rubbing some of the substrate between your hands and see if it is sharp. Are there sharp edges on the car? Keep a sly eye on Betta. They can get temperamental and territorial as they age. They also are strangely sneaky, waiting until the boss is out of the room to be naughty.

As was said by Colin T, keep the water and substrate clean. Watch the ammonia! Chances are it will take care of itself.

Don't use MelaFix with Betta. You are in the States. If it doesn't clear up I will recommend a med that will be safe. If you are around Walmart, you might find out what kind of antibacterial meds for fresh water aquariums they have.

Do you have a quarantine tank?

Is there a filter on the tank?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It sounds like it was just in bad water before you got it and now it is getting a bit better.
I am a bit concerned you don't have any nitrates and you have a tiny amount of ammonia. Has the tank been cycled?

Colin_T, How many Corys do you have? How many tanks are you running? Your profile says none. How did you get 2000+ posts in less than 3 months? I think you are trolling. Be serious.

Colin_T, How many Corys do you have? - none currently, they all died from TB
How many tanks are you running? Your profile says none. - 6 tanks currently, all saltwater
How did you get 2000+ posts in less than 3 months? - I have an illness, I'm a serial poster
I think you are trolling. Be serious. - not sure what trolling is

Why do you need to figure out what I am doing?
We are working together. you are offering your ideas and I am offering my opinion about Reeveso's new corydoras catfish.
They came in from the petshop with a red belly and the most common cause of that is poor water quality or a bacterial infection. The fish appears to be getting better now it is in a clean tank therefore the most likely scenario was the fish were kept in a bad tank at the shop. Bad being it might have had an ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate reading. The PH could have been really low or there might have been some medication or other chemicals in the tank that were irritating the catfihs's skin.

If the fish appears to be getting better then there is no need to medicate it or move it to another tank.

Why do you need to figure out what I am doing?
We are working together. you are offering your ideas and I am offering my opinion about Reeveso's new corydoras catfish.
They came in from the petshop with a red belly and the most common cause of that is poor water quality or a bacterial infection. The fish appears to be getting better now it is in a clean tank therefore the most likely scenario was the fish were kept in a bad tank at the shop. Bad being it might have had an ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate reading. The PH could have been really low or there might have been some medication or other chemicals in the tank that were irritating the catfihs's skin.

If the fish appears to be getting better then there is no need to medicate it or move it to another tank.

Colin,

I got some medication today (Pimafix) just in case - I'll keep an eye on the fish and if it gets any worse I'll medicate them. If not I guess I'll let it heal naturally.

I'm also going to check for any sharp spots in the tank and all other recommendations everyone said.

Just in case I need to use it - what is meant by "take the carbon out of the tank" when putting the medication in....does that mean to take the filter out? If so, when do I put it back in?

some filters have carbon (a black granulated substance) in them. If your filter has carbon in it you need to remove the carbon from the filter before treating. Otherwise the carbon will absorb the medication and the fish won't get better.
The carbon is usually thrown away and after you have finished medicating the tank you can put some new carbon in the filter if you want to.
Carbon can be bought from any petshop. You can usually buy replacement carbon cartridges or carbon pads for specific makes of filter. Or you can buy carbon that is packed in a box or bag and put some in a fine mesh bag and place that in the filter.
If you do want to use carbon then try to get Activated Carbon because it works better and lasts longer than normal carbon. You should also rinse the new carbon under tap water before putting it in the tank otherwise the fine dust in the carbon will make the tank water go black.

Basically the carbon is remove from the filter but the filter is left running.

Carbon is one chemical media that is used in filters to remove pollutants. Most good filters have a mechanical component (wool or floss), a chemical component (carbon or some other media) and a biological, a place that encourages the good bacteria to grow such as a sponge or bio-wheel. Keep running the filter, but remove the chemical carbon media. If the carbon is in an insert you will replace it with mechanical media/floss or wool Before you do that put some floss or wool in the filter and let it start to mature with bacteria. If it becomes necessary to medicate then you will have some mature media to use to filter the water.

Colin_T is correct, wait to see if the fish recovers on it's own. Betta are very sensitive to some medications. MelaFix is one. That is why I asked if you have a quarantine tank. If you have to medicate, I would remove the Betta. They generaly tolerate being moved better and they don't tolerate some meds.

What test kit are you using? No nitrates is very unusual, which makes me think you are using test strips.

This is the end of my day. I will leave others to help.

I chose MelaFix and PimaFix originally because they are a common and useful treatment to have handy. MelaFix is a natural and mild antibacterial and is generally used together with PimaFix which is a natural anti fungal and is also used to encourage healing tissue. I felt if you had something to use if needed that would become part of your "medicine cabinet" you wouldn't go wrong having those two.

Most of the questions I asked are common, and I had reasons to ask them. I didn't make assumptions, but wanted to get the worst case senarios out of the way--such as hemorrhagic septicemia--which goes bad fast and was a possibility from your first description. It also is the result of bad water.

Most fish problems are the result of bad water.

Let us know how it goes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back