Is My Black Molly Close To Giving Birth, How Do You Tell?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

saffholly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my black female Molly is behaving oddly, she has been near the surface and hanging around near the heater and filter all day, she's now near the bottom of the tank near a plant. She's only a young Molly, not very fat but has a slight tummy on her. She is in with a male and 2 other females (who have already given birth). How do i tell when they are black?

I'm worried if i put her in the trap she will miscarry as this happened with one of the others last week, though i would like to save as many fry as i can (we only managed to get 4 from the other one that gave birth). So is she behaving oddly because she's going to give birth? should i put her in the trap or let her give birth in the tank?

If it were me, I'd let her give birth in the tank. It's so stressful for them in a trap. Molly fry are big enough and I would imagine they can't get eaten easily, especially if you have a few bushy and floating plants for them to hide.

I havn't got floating plants but have got quite a few plants and hiding places in the tank. I dont think she will have many fry as she's not a fully grown molly. I will feed them all before i go to bed so hopefuly they wont gobble up the fry if she gives birth tonight.

When i worked at a pet store the black molly fry never got eaten in the barely planted tanks. There would always be some living and growing in the back giant filter, too. They are pretty big when born and should be just fine to be born in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back