Is My Bichir A Senegal Bichir?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlgaeGuy

Reaction score
86090288au9.jpg

c1vz8.jpg

Also, is a steady diet of earthworms and baby guppies good enough for the bichir?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you've got a Polypterus Senegalus. A senegel or cuvier's birchir. of course i am known to be wrong....so wait for someone else to reply until you seriously take my word for it. :unsure:

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/poly-sen.htm

Edit: By the way hes a gorgeous little guy, wonderful coloring in my opinon, i love the tiny spots on his back! ^_^ And you have a marimo ball too!? Argh! Everyone but me has one and i LOVE those things to death!! Where did you get it??? O_O

defiantly a baby senny :good:

I wouldn't stick with just the guppies and earthworms though. They (or at least mine did) will eat most things, a good carnivore pellet would be great. Are you gut loading the guppies and breeding them yourself?

Okay, different foods, got it.

Right now, I'm getting the guppies at the pet store ($1 for 15). But I'll breed some in the near future.

Oh man, last night I had 30 baby guppies in the tank, now I have about half as much! :-(
Oh well, I guess its all part of the natural selection process.

I wouldn't stick with just the guppies and earthworms though. They (or at least mine did) will eat most things, a good carnivore pellet would be great. Are you gut loading the guppies and breeding them yourself?

Definantly a senegal; I've kept three before. The foods I recommend are Tetra Doromin and freeze dried krill. But the other foods don't hurt.

I recommend a varied diet for your young P. senegalus that does not include live feeder fish. My bichirs feed from a menu that includes: Hikari Sinking Carnivore Pellets (staple food), frozen bloodworms, frozen 'krill', frozen silversides, and frozen beef heart (occasionally) supplemented with live ghost shrimp and live earthworms. I avoid live feeder fish because of the risk of introducing internal and external parasites as well as other diseases. If you do choose to offer live feeder fish I strongly recommend that you quarantine them in a separate aquarium for at least two weeks and observe them carefully for any signs of illness.

Oh, and though it may seem obvious, I thaw all of the frozen foods that I offer before putting them in the aquarium. That way my bichirs don't end up with a belly full of ice crystals.

-Joe

Bonjour!

That is a senegal bichir no doubt at all! He is totally gorgeous! I love bichir's face, soooo adorable! very cute :] how big is your bichir? My senegal used to look much like this when it was younger.

Earthworm and guppy is alright for a bichir's diet. Though, just like all fish, a varied diet is always appreciated. For daily food, I recommend staple carnivore sticks. They include special nutrition they need for their growth and the best coloration. Other than main food, you can give any meaty foods and he will love it. Bloodworms, krill, beefheart, shrimp, etc. will all be loved. I once in a while sneak in some veggies-like spirulina brine shrimp or algae pellets. I give staple carnivore sticks daily once/twice a day and give frozen/live food daily once/twice per day. veggies and gut loaded shrimp or live food weekly or biweekly. That is the diet for bichet and my knight's tank.

Such adorable bichir you've got, take good care of it! hopefully he'll grow to become an awesome, beautiful friend of yours! :]

xoxo,
Odette

odettebottier, thank you for the kind words.

I have 2 senegal bichirs. One's almost 7 inches, the other is about five inches. Both are getting bigger and bigger everyday! :hyper:

Now that I have many different types of foods (algae pellets, Koi pellets(I cut these in half), ground earthworm pellets, and freeze dried blood worms), the Bichirs leave the guppies alone.

I guess they prefer food that doesn't swim away. :nod:

Now that I'll have to bred my own food (guppies and maybe ghost shrimps), I have to get another, smaller tank. HURRAY! :drool:

I love this site, so many awesome people with awesome fish advice!

odettebottier, thank you for the kind words.

I have 2 senegal bichirs. One's almost 7 inches, the other is about five inches. Both are getting bigger and bigger everyday! :hyper:

Now that I have many different types of foods (algae pellets, Koi pellets(I cut these in half), ground earthworm pellets, and freeze dried blood worms), the Bichirs leave the guppies alone.

I guess they prefer food that doesn't swim away. :nod:

Now that I'll have to bred my own food (guppies and maybe ghost shrimps), I have to get another, smaller tank. HURRAY! :drool:

I love this site, so many awesome people with awesome fish advice!

Koi Pellets?

you would be better getting some proper carnivore pellets, Hikari do some and they are excellent , my baby Senegal relishes them :)

Most reactions

trending

Back