Is my Betta sick?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Megd143

Reaction score
So for the past couple of days my betta has been acting strangely. Friday night (2 days ago) he was swimming around erratically. I did a 50% water change. I wasn't home most of the day yesterday, but when I got home he was laying in his grass, which isn't usual for him. He came out when he heard me open his little feeding door. But, he was acting like he couldn't see! He was looking for his food (bloodworms) but swimming right past it. He didn't get it until it had sank to the bottom and it took him a while to find it. He usually attacks his food as soon as I drop it in. He was swimming erratically again and bumping into decorations and corners and the glass. I turned off the filter and put an Indian almond leaf in his tank. He seemed to settle throughout the night swimming more normally and this morning he was acting more normal and seemed to be able to see. He ate normally when i dropped his worm in (attacked it like he usually does) If I shine my light on him I can see a good color around his head and gills that just doesn't look right. I have had him about 2 weeks and a few days ago his head seemed to be getting more blue and now it is lighter. I got a moss ball from petsmart when I purchased him that the girl pulled from one of their community tanks. I did not dip or sterilize before adding to his tank. (I am completely new to the hobby and I was totally ignorant about fish disease and how it's spread) Could this be the culprit? Here are some pictures, but if it is velvet, what is the best course of treatment? I have his tank blacked out now, and I have done some research, thinking I may go with copper-aid. Any advise you guys could give me would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180429_131810.jpg
    20180429_131810.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20180429_131817.jpg
    20180429_131817.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 103
Do not add any medication until you know what the problem is.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the tank each day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Keep the filter running all the time, day and night, every day of the year, (24/7).

Only feed him once every second day and remove any uneaten food after 5 minutes.

Get the tank water tested for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH. Post the results here. If you don't have tests kits then take a glass of tank water to the petshop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down at the shop and post them back here.
If the shop says the water is fine get them to tell you the numbers for each test, and post the numbers here.

For the longer term you should feed him high quality pellets and only give bloodworm occasionally as a treat (say once a week). Mke sure you remove any uneaten food after a couple of minutes as it does a great job of polluting the water.

I wouldn't feed the bloodworm at all until you know the ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and have stayed that way for at least 2 weeks.

Only feed him once every second day and remove any uneaten food after 5 minutes.
If fed correctly with high grade pellets there is no left over food,

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back