Is my betta okay? White dot??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xdarkleaves

Reaction score
hello! I saw this white spot yesterday and i want to know what is it and if i can do anything to get rid of it!! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5782.JPG
    IMG_5782.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5785.JPG
    IMG_5785.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5787.JPG
    IMG_5787.JPG
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 219
whats your tank size; water parameters; WC schedule?

The spot on his head? It's not uncommon for mature/older bettas to get a white spot and/or scale on them somewhere. My 3ish year old female gets one every now and then but it disappears after a couple days. So based on the picture and provided the tank is running smoothly, I would say it's nothing to worry about.

Just to make sure, we need a bit more info.
When did you get him and how long has the tank been running?
Did the tank cycle before you put him in?
How big is the tank?
Can you tell us what your nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and temps are?
Do you do water changes, how much and how often?

Side note, he seems to be in pretty good body condition and his fins are looking good too.

I got my Blue 2 weeks ago and he lives in a 1 gallon tank alone. I have nothing for the temperature of the water because nobody told me to get that when i got him, and i change 25% of the water once a week. I hope the white little dot will disappear :(

at least your good on water changes
His white dot isn't the problem, his health and the tank in general are the problem.
a five gallon tank is MINIMUM for a betta, preferably a ten.
Your tank isn't cycled and I imagine you don't have a filter.
a heater is needed they are tropical fish
do fifty percent a week from now on
I imagine his tank is one of those plastic pieces of junk from Petco ?

Its a marina tank with a filter, i didnt know the size of the tank needed to be that big! Thanks for the info... i guess ill never buy again at pet stores even for fish

Its a marina tank with a filter, i didnt know the size of the tank needed to be that big! Thanks for the info... i guess ill never buy again at pet stores even for fish
(don't mean this in a rude way)
If you cant provide the correct living quarters for him I recommend donating or giving him to someone who could let him thrive.

No i love this little one too much ill go back to a better place to buy the appropriate size for him! Is there anything else i need to know? Like how many pellets should i give him everyday?

Nickau says 2 pellets in the morning, then 2 at night. Which sounds accurate to me.
But yea here I made you a shopping list lol

Filter: when you buy the filter make sure its for a five gallon, not 10 because it will provide to much flow for the betta. The filter will most likely come with charcoal but done use that, buy a bio sponge as well and a big bag of filter floss. This is where the beneficial bacteria will grow in your filter. Place the bio sponge in the filter first behind the filter floss, you can change the filter floss whenever you want (preferably every month or so I do).

A WC bucket (optional), a good bucket to siphon your water into when your doing fifty percent water changes every week, now when the tank is cycling (until ammonia is at a steady 0ppm) change the water fifty percent a day.

A good heater: 75F is the average temp.

Five Gallon to Ten Gallon Tank: for the fish to thrive in :)

Substrate: don't get the pink and purple colored substrate lol please, provide a natural kind of looking environment, this can be done with an inert sand substrate (gravel carries to much gunk), and live plants (easy species are: java moss, java fern, pennywort, ludwigia, anubias sp. etc).

A TEST KIT: API master test kit is a good test kit for starters, readings after cycling for the *norm* should be as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm ammonia is highly toxic to fish and can cause high stress levels even death
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: anywhere from 5 to 10 ppm

and maybe some shrimp when the tank is done cycling, up to you.

Thank you so much for your help! Im glad i came here to provide the best for my little one :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back