Is my betta fish sick or just pissed off?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flashdance

Reaction score
I've had a male betta for about 3 months now. He lives in a 2 gallon bowl with a live plant and a heater. He gets 50-40% water changes twice a week and once every 2 weeks I take him out and clean the bowl thoroughly. When I put him in a cup to clean his bowl he goes crazy! Thrashing flaring swimming upside down biting his tails. I don't think he's in shock because I scoop him in his same water. How do I keep him from stressing out so bad? Or is this behavior a sign of something else?

Never clean out the entire tank, as it messes with the biological bacteria that break down the fish waste.

A bowl isn't the best home for a betta, a heated and filter tank is a must IMO for a long life. Once the tank has completed the nitrogen cycle weekly water changes are all that is needed.

Hi.
When I put him in a cup to clean his bowl he goes crazy! Thrashing flaring swimming upside down biting his tails. I don't think he's in shock because I scoop him in his same water. How do I keep him from stressing out so bad?
Easy stop taking him out of his home, this is stressing him out and will cause health issues, Eg if hes biting his tail it could lead to fin rot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back