Is It Supposed To Be Like This?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Flinkbag

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

So I bought a heater today to help nurse a sick Betta to health, and the heater I bought is a Marina Submersible heater, 25w. I noticed at the store that all of those heaters seemed to have some type of padding in the bottom where the actual heating area is. Im guessing its for protective purposes during transport, but for use at home, I would've assumed it would be unsafe to have packing-box type material in a live heater underwater... I just don't want to set my house on fire because of a weird packaging design! So can someone either reassure me that this is normal, and that it will just burn up slowly and safely inside the heater, or that I need to do something about it in order to get the packaging material out? 

It looks like this if you were curious. Just keep in mind ALL of this line's heaters looked like this...

Attachments

• tim.jpg
    tim.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 171
I'd return it to the store and exchange it. That's not right.

I've never seen a heater like that ... I'll 3rd returning it to the store

I've seen heaters with the cotton wool type wadding at the bottom that are supposed to be operated like that but it is not touching the heating coils, did you say all the heaters in the shop had it? it may be normal then but for piece of mind I would take it back and tell them your worries and see what they say or maybe they can test it for you in the shop.

Plug it in and switch it on, see what happens. If it goes off you can sue! :)

Ok wow lots of people telling me to take it back. When I asked them about it, they said it was normal, but that doesn't look safe to me... The problem is that I've recently returned a filter there, and I don't want to return another thing too D: I HATE being THAT person who always returns things to this one store. It wastes their time and their money. Maybe I'll ask them to try it out at their store first though. 

Anyway, this is the brand of heater I bought. Even on the website, they look like that! Clearly they think its safe, but theres no information anywhere about the packaging in the bottom... 

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/11230 

Thanks for all the speedy replies guys! Much appreciated! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back