is it ok to turn off my filter at night during a fishless cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cheddercheese10

Reaction score
hi everyone is it ok to turn off my filter during the night during a fishless cycke because its keeping me up the trickiling water its got no fish because ive only just got the tank and need to put the water up to stop the water trickling thanks

Once a filter is properly established, it can be trned off for short periods, but when you're just starting a cycle, you really need it on all the time.

You can add water to a cycling tank, quite safely, as long as the new water is dechlorinated.

Once a filter is properly established, it can be trned off for short periods, but when you're just starting a cycle, you really need it on all the time.

You can add water to a cycling tank, quite safely, as long as the new water is dechlorinated.
ok thanks ive fixed the loud noise now and im used to the noise thank you

That's great; there are few things more annoying than a noisy filter. I have two tanks in my bedroom, so I'm familiar with the problem, and I'm glad you've got it sorted out :)

That's great; there are few things more annoying than a noisy filter. I have two tanks in my bedroom, so I'm familiar with the problem, and I'm glad you've got it sorted out :)
yeah all i did was topped up the water to the filter line and its still not at max
and ive got a question for u if u dont mind

Of course I don't mind! Ask away :)

ok thanks well u know how ive got this new tank my first fish and that well theres like little particles floating around the water mainly around the filter bit where the filtered water is coming out and i dont know what they are i dont know if its me just paniking or what please help

That could be all sorts of things...

Could you try and catch some of the particles in a net or jar and have a closer look at them?

i have and they just look like little dots little particles thing like sometimes when sunlight gets thru the curtains and u can see all little things floating its like that

This sort of thing is very, very common in new set ups; you get all sorts of weird stuff while the tank matures. I wouldn't worry too much yet.

What decor do you have in the tank at the moment? What have you got in your filter? Can you see any colour to the particles, and do you think they might be something alive i.e are they moving around? Or are they settling on the bottom of the jar?

ok thank you so much and i have a spongebob pineapple house spongebob a hiding house bush thing and a couple of plants and blue pebbles im not to sure but i think ive got a sponge filter and the particles just settle to the top and there color is like see thru or white thank you so much

Could they be very tiny bubbles?

Whatever, if they're not alive, I doubt very much if it's anything to worry about. You might need to add a layer of some finer filter media, like floss, to catch them, if they don't disappear.

i think they could be very tiny bubbles but theres loads and and they are tiny but they do look like bubbles snd when i touch them they pop so yeh i guess on sunday the day before i get the fish ill do a PH 5 in 1 test even tho i just did one yeterday when rhey werent there but ill keep monitoring it so thankyou so kuch youve just made my night sleep so much better thank uou;)

Okay.. now you're worrying me! I doubt your tank is ready for fish yet. Have you been adding any ammonia to the tank, or have you just let it run? Do your test strips have an ammonia test on them?

Most reactions

Back