Is it finrot? Or what?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Lyuba_buk

Reaction score
Hello everyone
Please help identify the problem!
Boris lives in 10 gallon tank. He shares his tank with some red cherry shrimps (they have a border betwee them).
A month ago, I noticed that Borisā€™s upper fin looked weird, googled it and guessed it must have been finrot because I didnā€™t clean the tank properly. So i took him out and put him in another container and started treatment with API melafix frehwater antibacterial treatment. His fin regrew.
Now i see that his tail is partially white. It wasnā€™t like that. What is it?
Sorry if i post too many details- I donā€™t know whatā€™s important in this case.

Attachments

• 6BB1493C-4E35-4BCE-9CCB-2FAAB983D04F.jpeg
    6BB1493C-4E35-4BCE-9CCB-2FAAB983D04F.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 116
How long has the tank been set up for?

Does the tank have a filter and if yes, how long has it been running for?
Is the filter run all the time?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate?
How much water do you change when you do water changes?
Do you use tap water, and if yes, do you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine/ chloramine from the water?

Have you check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
If yes, what were the results?

----------------------
What colour was the fish before this happened? Did it have a red and white anal (bottom) fin before, or is that new too?

How long have you had the fish for?

----------------------
Generally the best remedy for all fish that look off colour, have a cloudy milky white appearance to their body or fins, or are just acting unwell, is to do a big (75%) water change and a complete gravel clean each day for a week to dilute anything in the water that might be causing an issue.

Quite often poor water quality can cause fish to produce excess mucous and water changes and gravel cleaning will fix this without the need for medications. Cleaning the filter regularly (at least once a month) will also help.

Just make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.

How long has the tank been set up for?
6 months.
Does the tank have a filter and if yes, how long has it been running for? Yes. All 6 months.
Is the filter run all the time? Yes
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean the filter? I rinse it every two weeks with water from the tank.

How often do you do water changes and gravel clean the substrate? Add water weekly. Vacuum gravel when it looks dirty.
How much water do you change when you do water changes? About 20%.
Do you use tap water, and if yes, do you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine/ chloramine from the water? Yes, i use conditioner.

Have you check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH? I have to say: I havenā€™t since my tank was cycled. My red cherry shrimps are thriving. I have so many babies...
If yes, what were the results?

----------------------
What colour was the fish before this happened? Did it have a red and white anal (bottom) fin before, or is that new too? It was a little white, not like this.

How long have you had the fish for? 6 month, but he was a baby betta when i got him.

----------------------
Generally the best remedy for all fish that look off colour, have a cloudy milky white appearance to their body or fins, or are just acting unwell, is to do a big (75%) water change and a complete gravel clean each day for a week to dilute anything in the water that might be causing an issue.

Quite often poor water quality can cause fish to produce excess mucous and water changes and gravel cleaning will fix this without the need for medications. Cleaning the filter regularly (at least once a month) will also help.

Just make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the aquarium.
I plan to keep him in a separate container until he is healthy. Is it ok? Thank you very much,

Most reactions

Back