Is he bloated?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PEPPI

Reaction score
My betta recently has looked a little bloated and i'm kind of concerned. He is too active and is really worrying me! And all of a sudden the live plant in his tank is dying! Please help! Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled_Message (7).zip
    292 KB · Views: 161
If you can post a picture of the fish and plant I will view them. However, the thing you put up for a picture is a zip file and I am unwilling to open them due to viruses and other possible nasties that could be in it.

----------------------
As a general rule, if the fish is still eating and swimming normally, and is doing normal poop, it should be fine.

If the fish has stopped eating and is doing stringy white poop there is probably an internal bacterial or protozoan infection.

If the fish is still eating normally and doing stringy white poop, it probably has intestinal worms like tapeworm or threadworm.

----------------------
If fish are fed a lot of food they get fat. Fasting them for 1 day a week will help them and feeding adult fish once a day will help reduce obesity and other health issues. Feeding them a varied diet that includes dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods will help keep them healthy, and doing regular water changes and tank maintenance will also help.

If you can post a picture of the fish and plant I will view them. However, the thing you put up for a picture is a zip file and I am unwilling to open them due to viruses and other possible nasties that could be in it.

----------------------
As a general rule, if the fish is still eating and swimming normally, and is doing normal poop, it should be fine.

If the fish has stopped eating and is doing stringy white poop there is probably an internal bacterial or protozoan infection.

If the fish is still eating normally and doing stringy white poop, it probably has intestinal worms like tapeworm or threadworm.

----------------------
If fish are fed a lot of food they get fat. Fasting them for 1 day a week will help them and feeding adult fish once a day will help reduce obesity and other health issues. Feeding them a varied diet that includes dry, frozen (but defrosted) and live foods will help keep them healthy, and doing regular water changes and tank maintenance will also help.
sorry! He is still eating but i have not seen him poop for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_6045.JPG
    IMG_6045.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 165
Stop feeding him.

And can you provide better photos

We need a picture of the fish without everything else in the way. It doesn't look too fat from a distance but we need a closer view to see if the scales are sticking out. You could try putting a dark piece of paper or card behind the tank. The fish will show up better against that :)

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?

Can you please answer the following questions.

How big is the tank?
Has it got a heater? What is it set to?
Has it got a filter?
How strong is the current?
Is it cycled?
How often do you change water?
How much water do you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate?
What additives or chemicals do you use? Eg De Chlorinator?
Do you use tap or bottled water? If bottled water please give us the brand.
Do you have a water test kit?
Can you tell us the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
When you clean the tank can you tell us exactly what you do.
What do you feed him? how much? how often?
Any tank mates? What sort how many?
How long have you had the Betta?
Has he got a history of illness?
Any plants or decorations? Please give details?
Can you provide a close up photo of the fish?
Can you provide a photo of the tank?
Sorry the photos are still bad he has all of a sudden become- really inactive and is just laying in one spot for a while then swimming somewhere else and laying there.-
-The tank is 10L
-It has a heater set at 26 degrees Celsius.
-yes it has a filter
-the current is not strong

-I change the water once a week
-around 40%-50%
-no i do not vacuum the substrate
-i use a water conditioner and a neutral regulator that adjusts the PH to seven
-I use tap water
-No i do not have a test kit
-When i clean the tank i use a clean cup and scoop the desired amount of water out of the tank into another bowl. I tip that down the sink and then fill up the bucket with new water and add the water conditioner and stuff like that. then i let that sit while i use a big syringe i bought from a pet shop and use that to suck up some of the stuff in and on the gravel. Then i slowly pour in the new water.
-when i feed him i use the end of a spoon to scoop up the food in the container and drop it in. I feed him 1 pellet in the morning and 1-2 in the afternoon and sometimes will feed him freeze dried blood worms instead. I will usually fast him for 1 day a week.
-He has no tank mates.
- 6-7 months ( I forgot the exact day i got him)
-He has been ill a few times but they all went away by themselves. He had badly clamped fins for the first week or so we had him but that went away and then he became inactive and looked not quite right but then that went away after a few days.
-He has a piece of driftwood with a plant on it but as i said it has all of a sudden the plant has started to die.

Attachments

• IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_6057.JPG
    IMG_6057.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6058.JPG
    IMG_6058.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 176
a neutral regulator that adjusts the PH to seven
Stop this at once, it is harming your fish. What is the PH of your tap water? This could also be the reason your plant is not doing well.

i use a water conditioner

What brand?

pellet in the morning and 1-2 in the afternoon
What brand are the pellets, I also think that's not enough food, My fish get 5 pellets of Northfin betta bits a day 3 in the morning 2 at night.

Do you pre soak the blood worm in a spoon of tank water?

PS
And if anybody tries to tell you that PH lowering products like PH down are not harmful ignore them, there is a lot more to lowering PH than adding a few drops of some magic compound to a gallon of water.

Stop this at once, it is harming your fish. What is the PH of your tap water? This could also be the reason your plant is not doing well.

What brand?

What brand are the pellets, I also think that's not enough food, My fish get 5 pellets of Northfin betta bits a day 3 in the morning 2 at night.

Do you pre soak the blood worm in a spoon of tank water?

PS
And if anybody tries to tell you that PH lowering products like PH down are not harmful ignore them, there is a lot more to lowering PH than adding a few drops of some magic compound to a gallon of water.

The water conditioner brand is SEACHEM prime

the food is Pro's Choice

no i do not soak the bloodworms.

The PH of my tap water i think is around 8

it looks to be a female bettta, not a male.
The water conditioner brand is SEACHEM prime

the food is Pro's Choice

no i do not soak the bloodworms.

The PH of my tap water i think is around 8
You THINK or you know that the ph is around 8.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back