Is Cycling The Tank With Lr A Good Idea?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DanMan092

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm setting up a 50 gallon SW, and was going to cycle the tank with LR. I read one of Navarre's comments about LR not working if it was outta the LFS tank for a while or something... We were gonna order 50 - 75 lbs over the internet for like $2 per pound (adding shipping its like that) It's like 80 bucks for 45 lbs or w/e. Would this be a good idea? (To cycle the tank with LR)

Also, about what time should I start to add my cleanup crew, and what should I add? How bout first fish?

As for cycling, its fine but if there is no fish then the bacteria will starve because its not getting any ammonia.

For a cleanup crew, simply add them when algae bigins to build up. Go to the LFS and buy about ten hermits (reef safe of course) or snails so that if they die for some weird reason, your losses wont be great. If they are fine get about 1 per gallon, and every time you go to the LFS, buy just one or two more to keep stocked up.

As for fish, you could put in an Ocellaris clown pair or a similar Amphiprion clown. Or some gentle damselfish; but there is more options then that.

Damsels tend to be aggresive. About 80% of the damsel fish I have had in the past have been aggresive. There can be some exceptions, some individual fish have differen't temperments like my blue streak damselfish. On LiveAquaria they say they are aggressive fish. Yet he is probably one of my most docile fish.
I've had other cases where I had a domino damsel and he was extremly aggressive and it limited me from buying other fish because He would just torment them. It is up to you if you want a damsel fish, but in my opinon I would just stear clear of them. There is so many other fish to choose from that are more docile and will keep your tank in peace.

-Riley

You always want to mature the tank with liverock, get the water at the rigth temp and salinity and then add your live rock all in one go.

Make sure your live rock is cured, even cured liverock will still cause a cycle so wait a few weeks before adding a first fish, bacteria wont starve, they will still be plenty of nutrients available from further die off from the rock.

Id start with 50 pounds of rock, its fine shipping overnight but you dont really any longer.

Make sure you use R.O water from the start and also plan to use phosphate remover from the start, it will save you alot of hassle further on

I am currently making the R.O water. But what is this about phosphate remover? Should that be before or after going through the R.O Unit?

I am currently making the R.O water. But what is this about phosphate remover? Should that be before or after going through the R.O Unit?

Ro water contains no phophates but the live rock can leach phosphates into the tank, specially if it is 2nd hand, the food your feed your fish also contains phosphates

Phophate fuels algae growth and once algae has taken hold it can be a pain to shift, its really good practice to add a small bag of phosphate remover into an external or sump or just behind the rock in the tank from the start, it will save you alot of trouble in the long run

Here in the UK we have rowaphos and other makes but im not sure what you have in the US

liverock is the best way to cycle the system.

I will however mention again. good quality liverock from reputable shops will not cause a cycle which means you have to wait weeks before livestock can be introduced.

The last tank i built had water, liverock, fish all in onthe same day and there was no cycle... or if it did it was not detected by the test kits.

Im not advocating that the tank can be fully stocked in a matter of days but there is enough bacteria to support fish and if the rock is well cured then there will be no die off.

Just adding to the above. There some advantages to uncured live rock...you may pick up some interesting sea life on it. However, IMO, I agree above. Precured is easier, quicker and saves you a lot of time.

Precured can go right in the tank and that is what you cycle with. As soon as your params are zero and you start to see some diatoms, you can go ahead and add your cleanup crew. Usually, this is about a week after the cycle ends. With a 50, you could add a nice diversity including astreas. trochus, nassarius, ceriths and a few shrimp. I'm not a big fan of hermits tho' I do have two emerald (mithrax) crabs.

I would recommend a phosphate binder even if using RO. Phosphates can get into the system when you start feeding. I use SeaGel. Phosban is another comman brand to use. Good luck with startup. SH

Most reactions

trending

Back