Is 5mm Thick Enough For A 4f Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kennygater

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi i am interested in a 48/15/18 tank, is 5mm thick enough for a tank that size? thanks

no, the std would be 10mm but 12mm would be better

I have a 4ft using 5mm glass that has been running for years off and on (was one of the first tanks I got). That being said I wouldnt want to stack a load of rock in it and every tank I have bought since has been 10mm min.

is it 5 mm all around or 5 mm on the sides and a bit thicker for the bottom?

Think of glass as stone. 5mm is fine. Of course the thicker the better,(''Thats what she said'') Big companys wouldn't sell them if the didn't hold up. IMO.

My 3ft (180L) tank is only 5mm-6mm glass. I think Juwel also manufacture the 240L (4ft) which is also the same glass thickness if memory serves me right. If that glass thickness was a safety concern, I don't think Juwel would be pumping out (excuse the pun) the amount of tanks that they do. Just take care to position and seat the tank correctly and don't drop anything heavy onto the bottom pane.

I just hope it's ok for when I convert to SW. Don't want it breaking! :no:

Should be fine. My Juwel 180 has a lot of sand in it and about 30KG of LR in it now. You will only come acropper if you stack a lot of live rock in one place and the weight is focused on one portion of the tank. You could put some egg crate in the bottom to prevent the rock from even touching the glass and thereby minimalise and cracking due to pressure from a jagged rock base supporting a pile.

Most reactions

Back