irridecent shark

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tatsel

Reaction score
I have an irridecent shark in a 65 gal tank all levels are good. He has a white spot on his whisker close to its face does not think it is much non of the other fish have any spots

20180318_204228.jpg
The spot is in from of eye on whisker

What other fish do you have with it? I'd guess he had his whisker bitten.

Just so you know, iridescent sharks will get well over a foot long and need a few hundred gallons when they are adults.

it's most likely a bruise from the fish getting caught on something and damaging it a bit. Monitor it over the next few days and if it goes white and fluffy (fungus), then add some Methylene blue to treat it. But if it doesn't get worse don't bother treating it.

What other fish do you have with it? I'd guess he had his whisker bitten.

Just so you know, iridescent sharks will get well over a foot long and need a few hundred gallons when they are adults.
unfortunately I found out about the size oven iridescent shark after I got him as for what else I have in the tank 7 tiger barbs a pleco not sure what type and a red tail shark

it's most likely a bruise from the fish getting caught on something and damaging it a bit. Monitor it over the next few days and if it goes white and fluffy (fungus), then add some Methylene blue to treat it. But if it doesn't get worse don't bother treating it.
I was trying to play it safe and have raised the temperature of the water to about 84 degrees I was going to add just a little bit of salt what do you think

a bit of salt should be fine. you don't have to raise the temperature.

depends on the pleco, If it's wild caught then don't add salt. If it's a domestic bristlenose catfish then they are fine with salt.

20170625_203752.jpg This is an old photo no longer has ick couldn't get a newer pic

it's not a common bristlenose so I would err on the side of caution and not use salt or only use a very lose dose of salt, no more than 1 level tablespoon per 20litres of water.

thank you for the information what type of pleco do you think it is. I was really only going to put one tablespoon per 10 gallons

no idea what species it is but depending on how much you paid for it would come into consideration. If you paid $3-5 it could be a common bristlenose. If it's a peckoltia sp (doesn't look like one) you could pay $50 for it, and common plecostomus could cost $20-50 for a little one.

you could check out Planet Catfish website (see link below) and try to id it but there are so many different suckermouth catfish, unless you know where it came from (eg: upper Amazon), you could be guessing for a long time.
https://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/index.php?mode=family#Loricariidae

Most reactions

Back