FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello y'all

Am considering getting a Ipad of some sort as my girlfriend's Apple laptop is practically an antique and really is at end of pratical life as we cannot upgrade to new OS version so therefore pretty much obsolete. We cannot afford a new Apple laptop and not keen on second hand laptops of any sort.

My own Apple Macbook Pro is perfectly fine so would use this as main laptop but need a second screen for basic stuff like internet and playing tv as well as movies and games for little Callum, maybe photos too, that sort of thing.

So, my question is will an Ipad do all this and we don't have a big budget, probably around about £200, maybe a little more if worth it.

Thing is, there are so many models and types of ipads out there that I don't really know where to start. Stuff like retina displays and memory etc, what should I be looking for to get best value for money?

I am pretty much a dummy when comes to computer stuff and any help or advice would be terrific from you knowledgable guys.

Ta!

my brother bought his two boys the hudl 2 from tesco. the kids love them. cost about £129 each. i myself bought an un branded 10.1" tablet pc from e bay. theyre called all winner. the spec is pretty good not upto i pad standard but at £70 i have no complaints. love mine to bits. watch netflix on it all the time and if you you know the right apps most subscription t.v can be streamed without to much fuss. just a couple of sugestions for you mate good luck.

I have an iPad and it's awesome for surfing the Internet. Mine has retina display and the picture quality is amazing. However, iPads that don't have retina display have HD display anyway and you probably won't notice a massive difference anyway. You can also get loads of cool apps and games, loads of which are free! It's also good for music and I watch Netflix on it. I think that iPad minis are good since they're cheaper and they're really not that small anyway. If you go to a place like PC world they can talk you through it and you can have a look and feel of the different models for yourself. It's also really good to watch reviews on YouTube.

I've got an ipad... and iPads were given to my students in lieu of laptops...  DO NOT expect the same functionality as a computer.  Do not expect the same picture quality as even a good smartphone.

An ipad is a larger screen smartphone, but honestly, with about the same capabilities... except it can't make phone calls nor send texts.  It is presented as a compromise position between a laptop and a phone.  That's not true. 

If you are looking for a 'laptop' like device, but cheaper... look into netbooks.  If you really want to tablet experience, but with the laptop functionality, you might want to consider the Windows tablets, instead.  

The ipads were the first to the market, but that doesn't make them the best option.  
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare-ipad#t1=acer-switch10
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424763,00.asp

bigcheed said:
my brother bought his two boys the hudl 2 from tesco. the kids love them. cost about £129 each. i myself bought an un branded 10.1" tablet pc from e bay. theyre called all winner. the spec is pretty good not upto i pad standard but at £70 i have no complaints. love mine to bits. watch netflix on it all the time and if you you know the right apps most subscription t.v can be streamed without to much fuss. just a couple of sugestions for you mate good luck.

Oh, never thought of that, may well check them out, great suggestions, thanks
smile.png

Liv15 said:
I have an iPad and it's awesome for surfing the Internet. Mine has retina display and the picture quality is amazing. However, iPads that don't have retina display have HD display anyway and you probably won't notice a massive difference anyway. You can also get loads of cool apps and games, loads of which are free! It's also good for music and I watch Netflix on it. I think that iPad minis are good since they're cheaper and they're really not that small anyway. If you go to a place like PC world they can talk you through it and you can have a look and feel of the different models for yourself. It's also really good to watch reviews on YouTube.

Am not a great fan of asking staff at PC World as always think theyre not all that and think they make up some of the answers
nugget.gif

eaglesaquarium said:
I've got an ipad... and iPads were given to my students in lieu of laptops...  DO NOT expect the same functionality as a computer.  Do not expect the same picture quality as even a good smartphone.

An ipad is a larger screen smartphone, but honestly, with about the same capabilities... except it can't make phone calls nor send texts.  It is presented as a compromise position between a laptop and a phone.  That's not true. 

If you are looking for a 'laptop' like device, but cheaper... look into netbooks.  If you really want to tablet experience, but with the laptop functionality, you might want to consider the Windows tablets, instead.  

The ipads were the first to the market, but that doesn't make them the best option.  
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/compare-ipad#t1=acer-switch10

Excellent post Eagles, that does explain some of the questions and niggles I had in mind. Though I knew they do not send texts or make calls, thats no problem at all. Just wanted something that can sort of perform some tasks like a laptop but cheaper.

As for window tablets, not sure, I am very used to Apple and I have a windows based laptop I use for work and kinda hate it to be honest as its ponderous and can be 'tempermental' if you know what i mean.

I will look into the netbooks and see whats that is like.

Thanks.

Try to get a chance to check out all the devices for yourself in the stores if you can.   Ask to see its functionality... ask questions of the sales department - and if they don't have the answers go to a different store.  Check out everything you can about the device you decide to buy and know what it can do and what it can't BEFORE you put down the cash to buy it.    Be 'that annoying customer' if you have to be.

:lol:

Oh I AM that "annoying customer" when it comes to electronic stuff like tv's and DVD player etc.

I once wrangled a top of the range tv for a big discount with nearly £100 worth of freebies with it :)
Think the salesman was utterly fed up with me and just gave up :lol:

But seriously, excellent tips in going to a store and trying out the various ipads, notebooks and tablet equipment and getting a good idea of what would suit us and our budget best.

I agree that PC World can be a bit off, I think they get commission if they sell a product so I don't completely trust them! Also, I disagree about the iPad display not being as good as a smart phone - mine has AMAZING display. My photos from my camera look brilliant on it. I do have the retina display iPad though.

Liv15 said:
I agree that PC World can be a bit off, I think they get commission if they sell a product so I don't completely trust them!

Agreed :nod:

Liv15 said:
Also, I disagree about the iPad display not being as good as a smart phone - mine has AMAZING display. My photos from my camera look brilliant on it. I do have the retina display iPad though.

What IS a retina display?

Like I said, I am a dummy when comes to that sort of thing :x

Liv15 said:
I agree that PC World can be a bit off, I think they get commission if they sell a product so I don't completely trust them! Also, I disagree about the iPad display not being as good as a smart phone - mine has AMAZING display. My photos from my camera look brilliant on it. I do have the retina display iPad though.

I think either I misstated what I was trying to say, versus what was read... I meant the camera function of the iPad is less quality than the camera function of the smartphones.  The displays on iPad are better than smartphones, that's true.  I was referring to 'functionality', in terms of the things you could do on it.  There's not much that you can do on an iPad that you can't do on a smartphone. 

Am considering getting a Ipad of some sort as my girlfriend's Apple laptop is practically an antique and really is at end of pratical life as we cannot upgrade to new OS version so therefore pretty much obsolete.
 Not quite obsolete, Have you considered Linux for that laptop? I can help you with this if you like. Linux is not as hard as you think.

NickAu said:
 Not quite obsolete, Have you considered Linux for that laptop? I can help you with this if you like. Linux is not as hard as you think.

Obsolete in term of Apple, yes it is :lol:

Linux?

Linux is an alternative operating system.  

Is it ? :/

Is it like Windows or similar?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back