What's new

Introduction

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Paprikakitty

Reaction score
Hi there! While I’m not new to aquarium life, I’m relatively new to the forum. Indoors I currently have 3 corries- a panda, a peppered and a julii along with a crowntail betta.

Outdoors I have a pond with 5 comet/shubunkin babies. Sadly their mom and dad disappeared a few weeks ago- we suspect raccoons or a heron that’s been a guest in our backyard a few times. I was devastated. I’d had them-Fred and Orangina, for over two years and watched them grow from little guys to over a foot long each, both with their own fish-personalities.

I’m grateful to have the babies still and we’ve taken better precautions to protect the babies for meeting the same fate.

Glad to be a part of the forum. I’ve already been given invaluable insight by the members. I look forward to being a part of the community.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Paprikakitty, very sorry to hear about your goldfish.

Welcome to the forum! I have a pond with a comet, common, and shubunkin in it. I have had the oldest for going on 2 years and the others for over a year. I would be devastated if I went out and they were gone. My heart breaks for you. I use netting over mine. Have you tried that? Look forward to seeing you around!

That’s about all you can do. I do have some large rocks they can hide in too but coons can get just about anywhere. Fortunately all we have to worry about are skunks and the dogs usually chase them off. We had coyotes until the neighborhood built up and they would get the neighborhood cats. You didn’t even let your small dogs out in the back without you. The coyotes would climb a 6’ tall fence like it wasn’t there. Not crazy about neighbors right next door but glad the coyotes have been chased off. Good luck and see you around the forum.

That’s about all you can do. I do have some large rocks they can hide in too but coons can get just about anywhere.

We have rocks and our LFS recommended larger pieces of pvc or abs pipe. The babies pretty much live in them now. We have 2” and 3” diameter. Yours might be too big to fit inside them? But I thought that was a great idea!

And coyotes are ruthless... and just plain creepy to have so close!!!

I heard one method of making a hiding place for goldfish of the pond bottom is sturdy enough is cinder blocks in pairs in the bottom on the deepest part and some marginal on top to make it hard for herons to use them as a perch, with another pair or few on top and crisscrossing for stability, to bring the top up to the right depth for the marginal plants, if needed.

The corners of the blocks might need going over with a cheap tool file to remove any sharp edges that could otherwise injure the fish.

Unsealed concrete will raise the ph and calcium hardness, but depending on your current water chemistry, that might not be a bad thing.

We had several devastating visits from a raccoon last summer.It killed several very large butterfly koi although not all of them were eaten mind you. It also destroyed most of our plants for some reason too. We put an alligator decoy in there and haven't had any night time visitors since. Also keeps waterfowl away too.
http://www.gardenandpatiohomeguide.com/the-complete-alligator-decoy-guide/
Hope this helps! It did for us. Oh I forgot to add that the pond is lit up at night so the gator is easily seen. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back