Interpet - No.6 Anti Whitespot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Thuggerz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all, I treat my tank with whitespot treatment, then 4 days later i treat again, then i wait 7 seven days, do a water change and start treatment process again. If you have used this product before, can you tell me if i'm doing it right.

Kind Regards, Thuggerz :)

Yeah that sounds about right. Increasing the temperature of the tank to around 28C helps too - it speeds up the lifecycle of the whitespot. Clean your substrate and do a good water change before starting treatment.

Keep the tank lights off too for the duration of the treatment - as Ich loves light

Keep the tank lights off too for the duration of the treatment - as Ich loves light

The ich parasite doesn't have eyes therefore turning off the lights during treatment is pointless. The only reason one would do so is because most ich meds break down from UV light which aquarium lights emit very little of making it trivial to turn them off because of this.

Read this article. Also, I have no idea if you're treating correctly as I've never used interpet. As far as I know most ich treatments require daily treatments every 24 hours with a 20-30% water change before each treatment and the removal of any carbon filtering. If you're following the directions exactly then you are treating correctly.

Another (in my opinion one of the most important) things to do, is pump as much extra air in there as you can (within reason). Increasing the temperature helps speed up the cycle, but decreases the O2, so make sure you add whatever air and movement (even an extra filter or powerhead) to the tank you can.

Hi all, tanks for your replys. I've been treating my tank for about a year and still can't get rid of it. I've got nine fish and theres only ever been one spot at the most on there tails. I can see sometimes that there in discomfort because of the flicking on the substrate. I've been treating the tank for about 3-4 weeks now so hopefully it will go this time.

That's a long time - and immense stress on your fish :/

Are you sure you are removing all carbon from the filter (if it has any) ? Have you ever tried any other medication (brand) ?

That's a long time - and immense stress on your fish :/

Are you sure you are removing all carbon from the filter (if it has any) ? Have you ever tried any other medication (brand) ?

Hi Bloo, I havn't been treating the tank constantly for a year, but have been treating on and off since then. I used a product called TAP whitespot treatment, but that didnt seem to work, so i moved onto Interpet. I'm going to continue treatment for the next two months and see what happens. I dont have carbon in my filter.

Kind Regards, Thugggerz

What fish do you have in the tank?

Hi, i have 8 plattys and 1 molly. I also have some platty fry.

Kind Regards, Thuggerz

You shouldnt have to keep treating for so long. Salt might be another option? Platties are a hardy fish so they might be ok with a bit of salt too.

I use the same treatment, but one thing I need to point out is that when instructions say “day four†it means 3 days later not 4 the 1st treatment is day one (it is important as it is relevant to the life cycle of the bacteria being treated). It’s all about knowing your enemy. So here goes…

Ichthyophthirius multifilis is the protozoa that causes ich or white spot has a life cycle of 12-16 days. It shows as white cysts on the fish's body and fins. These cysts are called trophonts and they drop off the fish releasing tomites (free swimming stage) into the water. These tomites then attach to a host, mature into trophozoites and bury themselves into the skin of the fish and become trophonts.

This is important because it affects the treatment, the tomite stage is the ONLY stage affected by the treatment and only lasts 3 days hence treating 3 days apart not 4. You also need to treat every 3 days for the full life cycle (not just the 2 times it says on the bottle). This is because the adults won’t be affected and nor will any cysts, so that’s days 1, 4, 7,10, 13, and 16. Each treatment needs to be preceded by 50% water change as you don’t want to overdose your fish. The tomites also do not like higher temperatures so raise the tank temperature to up 18-30C and siphon the gravel regularly to remove some of the trophonts from the bottom.

(The directions only say 2 treatments, which will be enough to lower the numbers but not get rid of ALL the bacteria. Hmmm, so they’ll be back to dangerous levels in a couple of months or so, then you’ll need to buy more of their medicine. Am I too cynical?)

Hope that makes sense, Good luck.

I use the same treatment, but one thing I need to point out is that when instructions say “day four†it means 3 days later not 4 the 1st treatment is day one (it is important as it is relevant to the life cycle of the bacteria being treated). It’s all about knowing your enemy. So here goes…

Ichthyophthirius multifilis is the protozoa that causes ich or white spot has a life cycle of 12-16 days. It shows as white cysts on the fish's body and fins. These cysts are called trophonts and they drop off the fish releasing tomites (free swimming stage) into the water. These tomites then attach to a host, mature into trophozoites and bury themselves into the skin of the fish and become trophonts.

This is important because it affects the treatment, the tomite stage is the ONLY stage affected by the treatment and only lasts 3 days hence treating 3 days apart not 4. You also need to treat every 3 days for the full life cycle (not just the 2 times it says on the bottle). This is because the adults won’t be affected and nor will any cysts, so that’s days 1, 4, 7,10, 13, and 16. Each treatment needs to be preceded by 50% water change as you don’t want to overdose your fish. The tomites also do not like higher temperatures so raise the tank temperature to up 18-30C and siphon the gravel regularly to remove some of the trophonts from the bottom.

(The directions only say 2 treatments, which will be enough to lower the numbers but not get rid of ALL the bacteria. Hmmm, so they’ll be back to dangerous levels in a couple of months or so, then you’ll need to buy more of their medicine. Am I too cynical?)

Hope that makes sense, Good luck.

wow i never knew exactly what the meds were doing myself, i just know the ones i used worked. but now i know why. thanks for sharing the info :good:. btw, you aren't being too cynical, corporations always are in it for the money, not the customers nor the animals it treats. it only makes sense that they woudl ive faulty advise on how to use the product so that you would need to do what Thuggerz is doing and treating their tank for over a year and not getting rid of it. how much money did he gie that company from their faulty information and treatment method?

as for the meds, i can't tell you as i don't use the product, i use something called Aquari-sol you use it every 24 hours for like a week then do a water change and of course removing carbon from the filter. it works great for me. maybe if the info that Jackie has said doesn't work for you, maybe try a different product? salt will also help all, aquarium salt and if you can't get that non iodized table salt will work but not as well as the aquarium salt. it's worth a shot.

Hi jackie, I'll do what you say and treat my tank on these days = 1, 4, 7,10, 13, and 16. Each treatment needs to be preceded by 50% water change. Do i stop treatment on the 16 day if everything looks ok?

Yeah, you should have caught all the tomites then, so that should clear it up for a decent amount of time. I inherited some of my stock recently and they came with Ich so i'm treating one of my tanks too.

Do you have a quarantine tank? If not, you may want to get one to avoid introducing any infection with any future additions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back