Internal Parasite?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
Our black Angel has a long white string thing coming out of him, he also does not seem himself, would this be internal parasites? How can I treat it being in the UK? He is in a community tank with cories, glass cats, tetras and lamps, thinking needing to treat the whole tank?

Just reading some furhter resources it could be the diet, but really unsure as he has been a bit moppy today. He did have brineshrimp yesterday which could indicate the whiteness/clearness? Sources are open, either what they have eaten or possibilities of illness.

Just going to double check the tank params, but not long had a water change. All other fish are fine, no new additions, no losses, no new plants. I did do some serious pruning this morning which may explain his sulkiness but unsure..

Just found a high NitrAte spike, we have done a 50% water change, angel is instantly happier. now unsure if poo is due to yesterdays diet or internal?

Feed some peas.

I think I would worm your fish anyway. Its best to worm fish.

Whats your location.

Long stringy white poo can be constipation, bacterial infection, internal parasites.

Does he look skinny or bloated.
Is his anus enlarged or red and inflamed.
Any worm prutruding from the anus.
Does the tummy look sunken in.
Does he swim on his side.
Any fish have bent spines.
Does he look pale or darker in colour.
Is he acting lisless and lethagic.
Does he lean to oneside when resting.

Hi Wilder thanks so very much for the response! I am UK based, shall order some dewormer as nowhere local sells.

The only fish affected is the one Angel, he didnt eat tonight (and dont believe he ate last night). He is a little bit off in his manner, usually at the front being a prima donna, but generally staying in comfort at the back in a corner. Checking on him this morning, there was further white string of poop (didnt look like a worm but unsure). He has none of the other symptoms above and is only fish affected, all others are accounted for and healthy (main concerns is if it is anything other than constipation will spread to the other fish). Did feed peas yesterday but he wasnt hungry from what I saw, though wasnt watching hawk-eyed then.

p.s. is kusuri wormer plus ok for all types of fish?

I think I would issoalate him and use anti internal bacteria med by interpet if he acting out of sorts.

Get a link to the kusuri med.

http://www.kusuri.co.uk/shopping.php?class_id=117

Ah looking at the right wormer then :good:

Thanks so much Wilder, your knowledge is limitless x I will set up a small hospital tank for him and go from there. Should I hope no others in the tank have become infected or dose the tank? So clueless when it comes to ill fish

There this med but think it's only available in the uk throw a vet.

Metronidazole 4 mg/L for 3 to 4 days Hexamita change water with each treatment. Poorly soluble

This med sera.
http://www.thegreenmachineaquatics.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Aquatics/_nematol%20001/198936

When a fish has internal parasites it's best to treat the whole tank.
Other fish can get infected by sucking another fish poo up.

Thanks for that so dose main tank with Med Sera which seems much more appropriate for tropical fish over the kusuri wormer. And have angel isolated and get anti internal bacteria meds (will try for the above but most likely going to be shop bought as local vets quite useless). Thank you! :thanks:

EDIT! Just reread your post, will treat all for both, though probably internal bacteria meds first as the immediate problem! :good:

If internal worming meds don't have bacteria meds in them, best to use a bacterial med after the parasite med has been removed.
A med like anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
The sera med treats camallanous worms which angels can get.

Mini update. Had to order meds off internet as no luck locally will try one more place but lease meds through post on the way. Other fish all fine, Angel not eaten as far as know and has started to get bulge to belly

Thanks for the update.
Not sounding to good for the angel fish, bless him.

:sad: Poor little mite, he has grown so well since being with us, we will wait and see (from reading around angels dont seem to recover well from illnesses). Thanks so much Wilder for all the guidance, have a fabby christmas xx

Merry christmas to you aswell lilacanny.

Aw thanks Wilder! The angel has now passed on (in the night) so we will deworm the tank when meds arrive and then see if anyone else has problems for the anti internal, thanks so much for all your help and hope you get merry today!

Bless Him.
R.I.P.
Let me know how the other fish get on.
Hope you had a lovely christmas.

Certainly will do Wilder, though all present and healthy as larks, thanks so very much and now Happy New Year :lol: :good: (p.s. certainly did have a good christmas, hope yours was fab too? xxx)

Most reactions

trending

Back