Internal Bacterial infection and a wasp found in filter intake!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JenniferRose

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I've been dealing with a sick betta for a couple weeks now, and started a round of Antibiotics (Erthromycin) last week. I removed the carbon, treated for 2 days, did a 25% water change, treated for 2 more days, did another 25% change and replaced the carbon in the filter. I've seen no change, he's maybe even worse as he's having a hard time swimming.

Symptoms that make me think its internal bacterial infection:
He's still listless, laying on his side (usually on the bottom, right now he's on a leaf) and pale. When he tries to swim to eat he sinks almost immediately. He sleeps all day unless he hears me (If I set something down nearby, ect) then he kind of flounders in place a while as if he's trying to swim over. I'm amazed he's still hanging on, honestly.

I'm feeding him peas, as it was suggested that could help. But now he's barely able to eat. He's hungry, but he has a very very hard time getting TO the food.

A few times I've thought he was dead and stared for 10 minutes looking for any movement. Eventually I lift the lid, tap a little.. nothing. (I avoid tapping on the glass, but its better than poking him) I wiggle the tank, nothing. Suddenly he'll spring to awareness and flounder. Poor thing is just really sick.

He's in a 2.5 mini bow with 2 live plants and 2 artificial non-abrasive plants.

Should I continue with the antibiotic treatment for another round? I've checked water parameters using the API water test kit (not strips) and ALL parameters are maintaining perfect. PH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are all right where they should be.

Yesterday I found a wasp (yes one of those mean little stinging bugs!) attached to his filter at the intake. o_O I don't know how long its been there as it was toward the back corner. Could this have been a root of my issue or just a weird coincidence? Once I found it I did a 25% water change. It's just the most random what the heck moment!

Attachments

• Bettanow.jpg
    Bettanow.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 117
  • listless.jpg
    listless.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 131
  • WeirdWasp.jpg
    WeirdWasp.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 109
any other fish in the tank?
Also a 2.5G is a bit 2 small for a betta, recommend a 5 gallon at the least

He's the only fish, parameters stay fine. I check every day. Tank was cycled before fish ever was added.

He's the only fish, parameters stay fine. I check every day. Tank was cycled before fish ever was added.
2.5 gallons is still too small, even if he is the only fish. A fish in a cramped space is not a happy fish, leading to stress, which leads them to become susceptible to illness. I do hope your betta gets better, but if you plan to keep him (or get another if he passes) please consider a larger tank. Five gallons at least. The usual measure of tank size is to take one gallon per inch of fish, and then at least double that. You should always ADD more to allow freedom of movement and well being for the fish. Depending on the betta, it can easily be 2-2.5 inches from mouth to fin, meaning you need at least double that size in tank capacity. This is why five gallons is the minimum recommended. Just because bettas can survive in small environments does not mean they should. Being a pet owner is putting the well being of your pet over your own interests. I'm not trying to attack you, just to express the importance if having healthy living space for these beautiful and feisty fish. Best of luck to you and your little betta.

2.5 gallons is still too small, even if he is the only fish. A fish in a cramped space is not a happy fish, leading to stress, which leads them to become susceptible to illness. I do hope your betta gets better, but if you plan to keep him (or get another if he passes) please consider a larger tank. Five gallons at least. The usual measure of tank size is to take one gallon per inch of fish, and then at least double that. You should always ADD more to allow freedom of movement and well being for the fish. Depending on the betta, it can easily be 2-2.5 inches from mouth to fin, meaning you need at least double that size in tank capacity. This is why five gallons is the minimum recommended. Just because bettas can survive in small environments does not mean they should. Being a pet owner is putting the well being of your pet over your own interests. I'm not trying to attack you, just to express the importance if having healthy living space for these beautiful and feisty fish. Best of luck to you and your little betta.
Thank you for your input , I do eventually intend to move him into a 10 gal planted but can't right now. Especially with him being stressed and sick I'm not looking to do that until (if) he gets better. Right now my focus is on trying to get him better, transferring him to a new tank when he can barely swim seems counter productive.

Can someone please give me advice regarding my concerns on this bacterial infection? Or any other possible issues this could be from? I doubt he'll live much longer as he isn't coordinated enough to eat. I'm quite concerned about him and will start the antibiotics again on Saturday. Should I use the same or get some tetracycline ?

I am sorry but I do not know enough about bacterial infections to give advice.

i suggest you just leave him alone, fiddling around with him wont help at all, it will just make things worse even more quickly. I would add some simple Bacterial Infection medicine to the tank, remove the filter media, and let him rest, don't feed him for 2 days after today/tonight fast him a bit, then after 2 days feed him regularly.

Most reactions

trending

Back