Interested In Starting My First Ever Tropical Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ewins87

Reaction score

Hello there,

Just before I start, I am very very new to this and may get things mixed up in my head but that is what you guys are her for...

I am interested in starting up my very first tropical fish aquarium. I must admit in the past week I have been getting incredibly excited about this but, having read this forum for the last few days I now realise how scientific and expert all this is and want to do it properly.

I am thinking of getting the elite style 60 tropical set up aquarium. I will not be purchasing it for a few months as going abroad twice in next 12 weeks.

Just wanted advice, is this the best aquarium to buy for a begginnner? What fish to buy, when I eventually get there!!! and advice on plants etc etc

In your opinion is a fishless cycle the best thing to do or fish in cycle??? LFS said 1 week but that seems like complete trash now I've read these forums!!!

any help/comments much appreciated

Rachael xxx

I can't help you in deciding on a tank as I just buy glass aquariums and use different parts and pieces. I've never had one of those fancy kits :lol: Also, get the biggest tank you have room for and can afford. Otherwise you'll just be starting over again in a couple months after you've gotten the hang of it. I've gone from a 10 to a 20 to a 35 and now a 65 in about a years time.

Fish In cycle is way more work with testing and water changes daily and in most cases twice a day. Otherwise you're just going to keep killing the fish you are trying to cycle the tank with.

On the Fishless cycle, there is one water change at the end unless of course your PH drops or something else odd happens.

It's definitely a personal choice and I guess you have to decide if you have tons of time or very little. You also have to decide if you want to watch the fish knowing that you are doing irreparable damage to it.

As for fish Dwarf Gouramis are hard to keep alive very prone to disease. Angel fish need a tall tank because they get fairly large/tall. They will also eat other little fish when they get big enough. Do a google search for "tropical freshwater fish" and see what ones you like the looks of and people can generally tell you about them. What goes well together, tank requirements etc. We really need a tank size before we can tell you about fish!

I do a fish-in cycle many people dont do this due to bit of hard work.. which to be honest i have had know fish die and i do a 50% water change once a day and takes 10mins if that. I dont mind it and its part of getting involved with the tank. At the end of the day its up to you what way you want to cycle your tank :)

I would strongly recommend doing the fishless cycle. I do this not because it's easier and a lot less hard work, but because fish-in cycling can cause poisoning and a lot of stress to the fish and if they survive the cycling, can be permanently damaged as a result of it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back