Interested In Discus Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

theshadowinc

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been interested in Discuss fish for some time now, the only issue is I have to get over the prices on them.
I have a 55g tank and probably considered lightly planted, I currently have 2 Siamese algy eaters 1 Pleco 1 red tail shark and 2 albino angles wondering If I would be able to put in Discuss with this mixture, I figure with the Anglefish they might be okay due to them being in the same kind of family and also not to worried about the red tail shark cause he hides alot for the anglefish. Would appreciate you help and what kind would you recomend!

Okay, there is nothing wrong with Discus in a 55g. BUT, a redtail shark isnt a good mixture for discus, or angels. I would remove him, along with the pleco. They tend to latch onto the side of discus and eat thier slime coat off, causing the discus to die. I would also rid of the Siamese algae eaters, as they can do the same. This is how i would stock your tank:

6 Discus
2 angels
15 Corrie Cats ( clean the bottom)

No, stop suggesting corrie cats as good tankmates for discus, they are not. They do not fare well in discus temps.

No, stop suggesting corrie cats as good tankmates for discus, they are not. They do not fare well in discus temps.

Why are they not good tank mates?

There are two species that go well with Discus. This is because they can handle the same water parameters. Unfourtunatley I cannot remember the exact species :blush: I am pretty sure one is Corydora Sterbai? Other species would not be advisable.

I would recommend removing every single species from the list.

Both Pleco and Algae eaters have been known to attach themselves to the Discus. I would actually be more worried about the Algae eaters then the Pleco!

Both the Angelfish and the Red tailed shark are probably going to be too aggressive for the Discus.

Keep doing research and keep asking questions. Do you have the time to care for Discus? Juvy Discus will need daily water changes, at least every other day. This allows the best growth of the fish, as they can stunt very easily. They will also need to be fed 3 times a day.

Hi well I just started with discus and don't have a fraction of the knowledge the other members do. personally I'd get rid of all of those, I'm sure i was told angels can carry a disease that doesn't effect the angel but does hurt discus so although they may get on, with the cost of discus is it worth the risk?

Cory I can understand why it was said above don't buy them as most are not suitable however the Corydora Sterbai should be ok.

But don't let this put you off, they are fantastic fish to watch and the daily water changes are worth it.

I currently have kribs, bristlenose, Corydora Sterbai and rummy nose in with my discus

Hi well I just started with discus and don't have a fraction of the knowledge the other members do. personally I'd get rid of all of those, I'm sure i was told angels can carry a disease that doesn't effect the angel but does hurt discus so although they may get on, with the cost of discus is it worth the risk?

Cory I can understand why it was said above don't buy them as most are not suitable however the Corydora Sterbai should be ok.

But don't let this put you off, they are fantastic fish to watch and the daily water changes are worth it.

I currently have kribs, bristlenose, Corydora Sterbai and rummy nose in with my discus

From experience Angels are not a good idea. I have a bristlenose, japenese upsidedown cat, 2 corrys and a hipolocat with mine and they are fine.

Waterchanges make for a good full body work out tho

I've got angels in with mine and no issues asside from when they breed and then the Discus give as good as they get and eventually get some caviar :good: :lol:

Most Corries will melt in the heat, but Sterbai are usualy considered fine. Adolfoi are in with mine no problems, but the Metre are just melting after a few months...

Waterchanges are dependant on the fish size. Adults should be fine on weekly/by-weekly's, but under 4", it's daily without fail :nod:

Feed will cost a bit too. These quys need lots of fresh, live, frozen and pellet foods, and prices on their diets automatically double the usual when you see the word Discus displayed on the tub...

All the best
Rabbut

I'm sure i was told angels can carry a disease that doesn't effect the angel but does hurt discus so although they may get on, with the cost of discus is it worth the risk?

Its actually a parasite called Capillaria. You are correct, that Pterophyllum normally are not effected by it. Discus on the other hand, can easily perish if they become infected. The good thing is, Capillaria is very rare in tank raised Angels today so you don't really have to worry about it. It is still always a good idea to de-worm all fish going into your main tank before hand.

haha well I've half learned something at least, I now need to get a lonely angel upstairs some friends now as his friends paired off. I just evicted anything I was told in the slightest possibility could harm the discus

I would feed the discus as much as you can without their bellys getting bloated. Surly more than 3x a day. I would aim for at least 5 or 6.

I would feed the discus as much as you can without their bellys getting bloated. Surly more than 3x a day. I would aim for at least 5 or 6.

I should have said at least three times a day. If the owner prefers to feed more then he/she will need to make sure they have a very strict water change routine.

Would like to ask the different behavours of a discuss, i have learned alot about them and they look really nice some of them. I also heard they really love planted tanks is this true or a myth thaught I would add that in. Also I thaught Angels where from the same family ><

Would like to ask the different behavours of a discuss, i have learned alot about them and they look really nice some of them. I also heard they really love planted tanks is this true or a myth thaught I would add that in. Also I thaught Angels where from the same family ><

No Angelfish are not from the same family as Discus. One is Pterophyllum and the other is Symphysodon. I am not really sure what you mean about asking the different behaviors of Discus? I don't see why Discus would like a planted tank more then any other tank, but they should be grown out in a bare bottom tank.

I've got a planted tank, not sure if they prefer it or not but if you go down the same route be prepared for a lot of work. discus need nothing short of spotless water and a planted tank makes this a lot more difficult

I have been contemplating having discus myself. This forum has been very informative and would like to thank those here. Every time I see the Discus in the shop I want one, but my conscious tells me not too. I think I may have to wait and possibly get an additional species tank set up just for them. Since I have not had a tank in years, and only within the last 7 months set up a 60 gal. maybe its best I wait. One thing I wanted to ask, is there much difference between the wild and tank raised in the tight parameters and conditions needed for these fish? What again is the reasoning to not have a substrate in the tank when raising them? And lastly is there any best number of fish/tank size that would be the most beneficial to this species?

Most reactions

trending

Back