Input On Co2 And Bba

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kstawski

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to the hobby, I've been reading a ton, but just need some input.

Basic Information:
- 55 Gallon established almost a year ago
-Weekly water changes at about 50%, along with vacuuming the substrate since I'm not heavily planted
- Ph 7.2, Ammonia and Nitrites are 0, and Nitrates are ~10
- Eco complete substrate with seachem root tabs
- Satellite Plus 48" (On full spectrum 6 hours, so low/med par)
- Eheim 2217
- Amazon Sword, some vals, frogbit, and Java Moss (I know I need more plants)
- Dosing ferts
- 6 White tip tetras, 3 swordtails, 2 angels, and a BN Pleco

So I've developed some BBA, mostly on my Vals and my inlet and outlet for my Eheim.

So I know that I can use H2O2 and excel at higher doses to kill the BBA, but I know that's only a temporary solution, and it'll just come back if I don't solve why it was there in the first place.

I know that BBA is an imbalance between CO2, lights, and Ferts. But I'm not quite sure where that imbalance is at the moment. I sadly don't have a PO4 test kit at the moment.

Would adding DIY CO2 help reduce the bba? Or would it just be a huge mess? Or should I just add fast growing stem plants?

Thanks for any input!

I believe it's also down to poor flow. I mean you can up your liquid co2 dosing and over time it may get rid of it. If you go down the gas co2 route it will remove it as you'll have a supply of co2 during the entire light time.

What ferts are you dosing?  Macro & trace?  If so you need to be dosing Co2 - I use pressurised and liqiud and it helps in keeping the bba down to a minimum.

Also try minimising the disruption of the surface water, mine is like glass as and surface aggitation dissipated Co2 within the water column.  The most likely cause (in mt experience is an inbalance in Co2 levels causing BBA.  I get it on my outlet pipes of my Eheim 2180 and thats rated at 1700 lph so it is not a lack of flow!

I would try liquid ferts even if you are not dosing Macro ferts as a fist effort at ridding yourself of this dreaded BBA! or buy a group of SAE :)

techen said:
I believe it's also down to poor flow. I mean you can up your liquid co2 dosing and over time it may get rid of it. If you go down the gas co2 route it will remove it as you'll have a supply of co2 during the entire light time.
Thanks for the feedback, I haven't been using any liquid co2, so I'll dose that regularly to get the dreaded bba under control! I wasn't sure if starting to use gas co2 would also start helping the bba grow rapidly.

bricko said:
What ferts are you dosing?  Macro & trace?  If so you need to be dosing Co2 - I use pressurised and liqiud and it helps in keeping the bba down to a minimum.

Also try minimising the disruption of the surface water, mine is like glass as and surface aggitation dissipated Co2 within the water column.  The most likely cause (in mt experience is an inbalance in Co2 levels causing BBA.  I get it on my outlet pipes of my Eheim 2180 and thats rated at 1700 lph so it is not a lack of flow!

I would try liquid ferts even if you are not dosing Macro ferts as a fist effort at ridding yourself of this dreaded BBA! or buy a group of SAE :)
I'm using very small amounts of macro and micro. My fish and their food alone wasn't providing enough nutrients for the plants. I have little to no surface agitation as well. I'm assuming my issue is the fluctuating co2 levels since I'm not using any form of co2.

Would you recommend DIY CO2 or go pressurized? I have low par lights so my plants don't use as much CO2.

I would always go pressurised if cost is no objective as it is more stable and controllable. Or just try daily liquid co2 for now and see how u go. U prob dont need trace element with low tech lighting

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back