Injured German Blue Ram

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jiffy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My girlfriend has two German Blue Rams, one male one female. Apparently they fought and the male won. The female is pretty badly injured, fins nipped, and she can't swim well. She was hiding, near lifeless in some plants. I haven't been able to get a real good look at her myself because I've been trying to keep the tank dim. I will try to look in the AM once shes been alone in the dark for a while, to hopefully calm her nerves, and try to get a better dammage assessment.

So, I took the female ram over to my house and just setup a hospital tank. I've got her in a bare-bottom 10g with an airstone (which I covered in some filter floss from my 10g regular tank) and a heater. I've got a towel over the tank to keep it dark.

I'm not really sure what my next step should be, possibly stress coat or some aquarium salt or even some maracyn or melafix? Hopefully if she stays here long enough she will be back to health.

Is my filtration adaquate on this tank? I can do frequent (as in daily or every other day) water changes should the need be, and I expect it to be.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

I checked on her when I woke up, and I thought she had died. She was upside down under the hob filter. I moved it and she started swimming again, so good news is that she is not dead. She can't really swim though, she just kinda does spastic loops. From what I could tell, one of her pectoral fins is almost gone, the other is torn, and there is a big chunk of her tail missing.

Could this possibly be fin rot?

If the LFS is open I am going to buy some aquarium salt and put that into her tank for now.

Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't use any strong/heavy meds right now, melafix and salt is fine but i would do half doses of each at the most, personally i would just use the melafix right now, meds can be stressful for fish themselves and she sounds like she is in a quite bad shape. Have you fed her anything yet?

I added some aquarium salt yesterday and up-ed the temp to 80. I haven't fed her yet but was going to today. Probably a couple bloodworms since it would be easy to feed that with an eyedropper.

Shes still hanging in there, not swimming much though.

Any suggestions as far as feeding?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back