Injured dumbo betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Beth Ellerby

Reaction score
Please can someone help me-
Its sort of a double issue. I've had my beautiful Dumbo Betta, Colin, for about three weeks. When I got him he had a top fin that had split all the way to his body. I decided to get him anyway as I thought he would heal and he was so pretty and active. Apparently I was wrong as it has still not healed in the slightest. Added to that this morning I noticed he suddenly has a big chunk missing out of one of his pectoral fins! He looks terrible and I feel awful that I've not taken better care of him. Additionally he's my first Betta so I'm concerned that his ventral fins were messed up when I got him too, they look sort of mushed together?
Hes in a five gallon tank with a couple of snails that, aside from staring at them every so often, dont seem to bother them. He's got a heater, a filter, and a bubble stone. There are plastic plants in there, they're fairly soft (I am going to replace them when I get some more money) but as it's an old injury I'm worried about and i doubt they managed to take a big chunk out of his fin, I'm not concerned about them currently. His current diet is a mix of tetra betta flakes and frozen bloodworms, twice a day (flakes- the tip of a cocktail stick amount, bloodworms- three or four).
I did do a water change and clean some ornaments yesterday so could it have been fin biting from stress? Can they even bite pectoral fins?
Is there a chance it's fin rot? The chunk didn't "dissolve", just disappeared, but could it be fin rot AS WELL? I cant see the discolouration I'm told to look for.
45506257_328781597920970_7007006532290215936_n.jpg
45512043_250441019156813_8189056075601805312_n.jpg
45634193_2387256208197388_1875078285008830464_n.jpg
45638232_1999832160084643_9112045393620762624_n.jpg
45717894_366848123858487_5502190162324488192_n.jpg

Please help me help him, I love him.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the tank has only been set up for a few weeks then there could be water quality issues like ammonia and nitrite that will damage his fins and inhibit them healing. If you have a test kit you can check this and post the results (in numbers) here for us to scrutinise. Alternatively take a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop and ask them to test the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water. Write the results down in numbers when they do the tests and post them here.

In the mean time you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a couple of weeks or until the fins start to heal and grow back. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

It's ok don't feel bad. I believe he will recover with proper care. Do you change his water weekly? Are you using a water conditioner? Do you test his water parameters? His tank looks beautiful!

Clean water is very important. I would start with changing at least 50-75% of his water weekly or more if possible. Also if you can find some Indian Almond leaves and put one in his tank as a natural medicine. It will help with healing. There are also other store bought chemical medicine that can help also but I am not that knowledgeable about that.

As for what you are feeding him. I would try to find small Betta pellets for him instead of flakes. Flakes will cause constipation and bloating. 2-3 pellets a day is enough. Do not overfeed! Freeze dried blood worms should be fed once a week as a treat. They offer very little nutrients. Also it's good to fast him for one day. They have tiny stomachs and they don't need much...no matter how much they beg!

For example my Bettas get 2 pellets in the morning and one in the evening. Saturday everybody gets one soaked in water freeze dried bloodworm. Soak it in water for 20 mins before feeding as it makes it easier for them to eat. Sunday is fast day.

Good luck with him. He's lovely!

The plant on the left of the first photo - it looks plastic. Colin could have torn his fins on that if it really is plastic. Plastic plants are not recommended with bettas for this reason - live or silk plants are better.
With bettas, always do the tights (pantyhose) check on any decor - run an old pair of tights over the decor and if they snag, either don't use the decor or sand the rough bit smooth.

It's ok don't feel bad. I believe he will recover with proper care. Do you change his water weekly? Are you using a water conditioner? Do you test his water parameters? His tank looks beautiful!

Clean water is very important. I would start with changing at least 50-75% of his water weekly or more if possible. Also if you can find some Indian Almond leaves and put one in his tank as a natural medicine. It will help with healing. There are also other store bought chemical medicine that can help also but I am not that knowledgeable about that.

As for what you are feeding him. I would try to find small Betta pellets for him instead of flakes. Flakes will cause constipation and bloating. 2-3 pellets a day is enough. Do not overfeed! Freeze dried blood worms should be fed once a week as a treat. They offer very little nutrients. Also it's good to fast him for one day. They have tiny stomachs and they don't need much...no matter how much they beg!

For example my Bettas get 2 pellets in the morning and one in the evening. Saturday everybody gets one soaked in water freeze dried bloodworm. Soak it in water for 20 mins before feeding as it makes it easier for them to eat. Sunday is fast day.

Good luck with him. He's lovely!

Yes I'm using water conditioner, Ive currently been changing 50% water once a week, though want to up that now that he's more established. I have not yet tested parameters but will get on that right away. Thank you!
I did intend to buy pellets, I got them online and didn't realise they were flakes- so i've been giving him a little bit at a time with plans to get pellets soon. Additionally, I have frozen bloodworms, not freezedried, which I think I read need to be in moderation because theyre too nutrient rich not full? And I do fast him once a week :D
Thank you, he's got so much character!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If the tank has only been set up for a few weeks then there could be water quality issues like ammonia and nitrite that will damage his fins and inhibit them healing. If you have a test kit you can check this and post the results (in numbers) here for us to scrutinise. Alternatively take a glass full of tank water to the local pet shop and ask them to test the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water. Write the results down in numbers when they do the tests and post them here.

In the mean time you should do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a couple of weeks or until the fins start to heal and grow back. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

I never thought of that! I'll get his water tested ASAP.
Would 75% every day impact on the amount of "good bacteria" in the tank or do I not need to worry about that?
Thanks for the help!

Yes I'm using water conditioner, Ive currently been changing 50% water once a week, though want to up that now that he's more established. I have not yet tested parameters but will get on that right away. Thank you!
I did intend to buy pellets, I got them online and didn't realise they were flakes- so i've been giving him a little bit at a time with plans to get pellets soon. Additionally, I have frozen bloodworms, not freezedried, which I think I read need to be in moderation because theyre too nutrient rich not full? And I do fast him once a week :D
Thank you, he's got so much character!

Well it sounds like you're doing everything right! :)
Yes a tiny bit of flakes won't hurt and the frozen bloodworms are better than the freeze dried ones. More protein I think.

Yes they have such character! My blue Veiltail named Phil is his own worst enemy when it comes to tearing his fins. He's my little "dive bomber" and swims like a maniac when he sees me. He also likes to get into everything and flare at his own reflection. I eventually took anything out of his tank that can rip his fins. But...due to his rather agressive swimming style, flaring and trying to squeeze into things he still manages to damage his fins once in awhile. I am getting him only silk plants soon.

I have two more Bettas...Miles my Delta tail who is beautiful and mellow and little Syd my Crowntail that was in horrible shape when I got him a week ago. He had fungus that was on what was left of his fins and a patch on his head. He was also lethargic. Now he's recovering...and turning into a little monster like his brother Phil...lol

Yes they are so much fun!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back