Individual Tank Bettas Vs Community Tank Bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Confused

Reaction score
Hi Friends, I was wondering whether a Male Betta likes being kept all alone in an Individual Tank? Or does he also prefer the company of other fishes in a Community Tank? Would those who have kept Bettas in both Individual Tanks & Community Tanks, please offer a comparative study to help understand Betta's likings better. Please offer a detailed comparison of their behavior, life expectancy, health etc

it depends, generally they dont do good in comm tanks. they are to aggresive, yet to fragile.
and they like to be alone anyways

only tankmates i reccomend are corys

:lol: I have never dare try bettas in community tanks. From what I have seen in lfs they get picked on or vice versa. My boys love their own little Kingdoms, they bubble, wiggle for their mum and prowl around looking for intruders! :lol: :lol:

We rescued one of our Bettas who was being kept with Zebra Danios at the lfs. He had been nipped quite badly and half his tail was missibng. He now has his own little tank and he's doing fine. :D

They're solitary fish- most attempts at integrating with other fish ends badly either for the betta or the other fish.

Thanks friends for sharing your experiences. Hoping to hear more ....

I have 1 betta in a 5 gal corner tank with 3 panda cory....he is quite happy, bubbling and exploring....even spends alot of time hanging in the plant that is situated to slow down the filter current, something he isn't supposed to like :/

I also have another in my 65 gal community "misfit" tank. Most everyone in there are misfits, rescues from others who decided they really didn't like keeping their tank....or fish that didn't work as planned in my other tanks. He also does fine....no nipping or shredded fins. There is some chasing, but the tank is understocked and everyone has plenty of room. The most noticeable chasing occurs between him and my dwarf gourami. Someday I figure I will put him back into his own tank though only because the rescued plec will probably grow quite large and I will need the space. The betta will be the easiest to rehome first.....smaller tank....can stick it just about anywhere. Some work, some don't. This poor betta was in an office environment, in the kitchen, and the first time I saw him the water was so cloudy I couldn't even see him in there, so this spot is quite a bit better!

If you have the genetically bred veil tale versions then on their own is best, if you have a pure bred PK male they will happily live in a community tank. My PK male will happily fight off the Boesmans in a feeding frenzy :)

Completely untrue- just becasue yours does, by no means means they all do. In fact, PKs are often more aggressive since they often have fighting blood in them, albeit probably fairly small amounts.

Hiya,

My betta is in my community tank (see sig). I've had no problems. I think there's more to it though than just do they get on with other fish or not. Different fish have different temperaments (I've just been lucky with Asbp). Also I personally think that the design of your tank and how big it is etc has a lot to do with it. Asbo has his own territory and nobody bothers him there and he doesn't worry anyone else.

I have a spare tank on standby should there be any problems and I need to remove him sharpish!

I probably wouldn't try it again as I'm sure I won't be this lucky again. Asbo went in the community tank on the advice of the fish shop (I knew nothing). When Asbo goes, I won't be replacing him - I have a separate tank now which is cycled and my new Betta will go in there with possibly cories or an adf or an apple snail.

Vicky.

From my own experience it really depends on the individual personalities of the betta. Some bettas are more agressive than others and they'll flare at almost anything. I think if you have a betta that is really agressive compared to other bettas it should have it's own tank. Constantly flaring is stressful to the betta I would think. Once in awhile it's ok but not all the time. If your betta is more docile, it is probably ok to keep it in a community tank. Of course the size of the community tank and the level of stocking will also be factors that determines whether or not it is healthy for the betta. Hiding and sleeping places are important too.

id say they are happiest alone.
it all depends on the individual fish, either you will have trouble with the betta bullying, or you will have trouble with other fish chasing him and bullying him.

it all depends on what setup you have, but personally i wouldnt risk it. i have mine in a 5 gallon setup by himself with a little plec. hes really happy in there cos he can swim around with no worries and he comes over to say hello when im nearby :)

Most reactions

trending

Back