Incandescent Lighting On A 5 Gallon... Question About Lighting Options

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Channti

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that I can exchange my incandescent bulbs for compact flourescents without changing my entire fixture.

Is this right?

Dumb question, I know, but I'm new to planted tanks. Better to ask and do things right then not and screw things up and waste a ton of money! :D

I've had a major issue with algae in my betta tank, and I need an alternative. I've filled it with frill for now from my 46 gallon (as I'm told it'll survive in any light), but I'd like to do something nicer in the tank. Are there any other plants I could keep in incandescent lights?

What could I keep with compact flourescent lights?
And is there a difference between the "compact flourescents" that the hardware store sells, and the aquarium "compact flourescents"?

I dont know about the lights and plants but since your bigger tank is planted and you dont have a C02 system you could get some Flourish Excel and pour a small amount in the tank thats plauged with algea.. as I understand it will clear the tank up right away!!

The hardware store CFLs are short and squat, and have a spiral design, and the aquarium CFLs are longer with a double loop design. I think the hardware store ones might fit a little too snugly because of their width and wouldn't cover as much of a distance with light. If you go to the hardware store for the bulb, look for a "daylight" version or something between 5,000-10,000 K(Kelvins). Actually, the same goes for the aquarium CFLs.

Anubias would do OK with a fluorescent bulb, but I don't know about with an incandescent bulb. Crypts might do ok, but they're rather frustrating as they like to die off for a month or so when you take them home.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back