I'm Thinking About Getting A Saltwater Reef Aquarium.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

HarpyFishLover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Recently, as in about a month ago, I got a small, 10-gallon freshwater aquarium. I love it so much, and I was wondering about getting a 29-gallon marine reef aquarium. Clownfish have been my favorites since I was only 2 years old. I want some tips on keeping saltwater fish. I don't think I will be able to get the aquarium for several months, possibly a year, but I'm just curious as to how hard it is to keep them.

I've been watching a series on youtube about reef tanks, really got me interested. It's out of the question for now but maybe in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKEXNIhomGs

Go for it! Reef tanks are stunning!

I've been putting together a plan to create a reef tank for a while now. After I tear down my 5, 10 and 15 gallon, I think I'm going to invest in a 20 gallon reef tank. I'm planning on housing a garden of zoanthids, acropora and some mushroom coral, and maybe, just maybe a couple of tridacnid clams if my parameters are on point and 100% stable. I'll probably keep a goby and a pistol shrimp, too, as they can make an interesting pair. Maybe a starfish as well, if a pistol shrimp and starfish are compatible.

What are your plans for your tank??

Sounds cool, rainbow!

I really haven't done much research on marine reefs, except enough to learn not to start with anything lower than a 30 gallon, lol...

I plan to have at least 4 clownfish, as above noted they are my favorite fish, and maybe something like the iconic blue tang. I will have to check and see their water requirements.

With the clownfish comes the necessary corals and sea anemones. So, I'll have to look in on that as well.

There is only one issue- placement. It is going in my entryway, after we level it enough to be safe. But, the entryway gets direct afternoon sun from the door and nearby window. Does this bother anything besides maybe overgrowth of algae or stuff like that?

After more research, not the blue tang. Stunning as they are, apparently they get up to 1 foot long?
What I have found that I want is:

4 clownfish
Royal gramma (or two, depending on their personality)
Firefish (or two, again, depending on personality)
Humu picasso triggerfish
Probably a lot of striped damselfish
Anything else anybody might want to suggest that I like!

More research indicates:

I have to get 4 clownfish. I'll fit my tank to meet their needs just to get them. Lol...

DEFINITELY a firefish (apparently it is the worst idea a human can have to put two firefish together)

5 royal grammas (correct me if wrong, but they school?)

Not a humu picasso triggerfish, as apparently they get to be a foot long

A striped damselfish

Small butterflyfish (possibly many of these)

Yes, don't keep more than one fire fish in the same aquarium, same for grammas, they can be aggresive to their own kind unless they have a large amount of space and an abundance of hiding places, same for fire fish, I think. I'm pretty sure a trigger fish would require a really large tank like 55 or 75 gallons and would probably be aggressive towards it's tank mates. 
Also, make sure your corals are compatible with the right fish as well. Some butterfly are known to rely on a diet of small polyps. 
The anemones for the clown fish, you have to make sure you're getting the right anemones, as I've read some anemones are not suitable for clown fish at all. I'm not sure which ones in particular, though. I think trigger fish will munch on coral, I've watched documentaries that have caught footage of one eating a jellyfish, so he might just snack on polyps.

Think of anemones looking like an upside down jellyfish. Sea anemones and jellyfish are close cousins, categorized under the group of "cnidarians".

Go for it. I have just shut mine down after having three reefs in last 5 or so years
They are easier than erhaps peole make out but the margins for error are smaller.
You really should get the biggest tank you can get as I started out with a 110 litre one that proved difficult due to the smll volume of water. You really do have to keep your water parameters stable. My last tank 350 litres was the best and had a sump which made the world of difference.

I kept clams and nems and would highly recomennd them.

I found that I only struggled when I overstocked with fish and you need to keep in mind the less is ideal principle for stocking.

Essential items in my opinion are refractometer, test kits, phosphate reactor, skimmer and if keeping clams and nems LED lights

RainboWBacoN420 said:
 maybe, just maybe a couple of tridacnid clams if my parameters are on point and 100% stable.

You'll need decent LED or halide lighting, clams literally whither away if light is insufficient
My Maxima clam
P1060405_zps6eda4fa7.jpg

P1060395_zpsc16b8623.jpg

HarpyFishLover said:
More research indicates:

I have to get 4 clownfish. I'll fit my tank to meet their needs just to get them. Lol...

DEFINITELY a firefish (apparently it is the worst idea a human can have to put two firefish together)

5 royal grammas (correct me if wrong, but they school?)

Not a humu picasso triggerfish, as apparently they get to be a foot long

A striped damselfish

Small butterflyfish (possibly many of these)

I'd rethink the damself fish they can be very nasty. How bout bangaii cardinals my little favourites and they breed and mouthbreed their young
I wouldnt keep 5 royal grammas, they fight and you rarely see them they hide in the rock. I always had one and they looked ace when you saw them but many more better fish. Blennys are the best characters and yellow watchmen gobies with a pistol shrimp

Yeah, after even more research I decided this:

4 or more clownfish
1 firefish
1 Copperbanded butterfly
Possibly 1 zoster butterfly

Saddle anemone
Giant carpet anemone
Sebae anemone

Some kind of coral

In, hopefully, a 50 gallon tank.

Those are some dazzling tridacnas simonas! I love sea clams, I hope I'll be able to keep one or two, I'd love to have them!

HarpyFishLover said:
Yeah, after even more research I decided this:

4 or more clownfish
1 firefish
1 Copperbanded butterfly
Possibly 1 zoster butterfly

Saddle anemone
Giant carpet anemone
Sebae anemone

Some kind of coral

In, hopefully, a 50 gallon tank.

Carpets are stunning but get very large and are the most predatory nems. I don;t know anyone who has had one withuot losses.

I can highly recommend Bubble tips I always kept them and a flame one I had was stunning. They aren't known for eating fish either. If you like carpets have a look at mini maxi nems. They are stunning too and are mini carpets.

have a look at bicolor blennys they really are the best fish

HarpyFishLover said:
Wait. Let me get this straight. Anemones eat fish?
confused.gif
They can, clownish or anemone fish on the other hand, secrete a mucus around their body that deters anemones from stinging it. They form a symbiotic relationship with their anemones, anemone fish don't require a host anemone, though. But pairing them up is ideal. 

Most reactions

Back