I'm New At Taking Care Of Fish. May I Ask A Few Questions?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PatriciaMayDelPilar

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here in this forum and I'm also new at taking care of fish! I have no idea of how to take care of them. I adopted 5 fishes from the pet store and I thought they look really cute. I'm having interests of taking care pets so I took them home. I have a few questions guys. 

1. What do you call this fishes' breed? (The big and small ones)
2. Do they have specific needs?
3. How do you breed these kinds of fish?
4. How would you know their age?

Here's the pictures of my fishies!! :)
Thanks in advance
*note, they only live in a small circular aquarium. I only feed them typical aquarium fish food.*
*I live in Philippines*

12746213_524169917744004_1110702779_n.jpg

12782072_524169921077337_667244591_n.jpg

12767420_524169934410669_243895392_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Patricia.

Your large fish is a goldfish, the smaller ones are platy.

I'm afraid fish do have specific needs and being kept in bowls is not good for them. The goldfish really needs to be put into a pond, if you can find someone who'll have it. Goldfish grow far too big to be kept in bowls.

The platies would also be better if they were in a proper tank with a filter; bowls are not good homes for fish. In the meantime, you must change all the water, every day, or the fish will poison themselves with their own wastes. The water already looks a bit cloudy, so you need to change it as soon as possible. You must use a dechlorinater to make the water safe for them.

If you have male and female platies, they will breed on their own; they give birth to live babies, not lay eggs like most fish. But they will eat their own babies (baby fish are called 'fry'), so if you wanted some of the fry to survive, you'd need a bigger tank with lots of plants so they can hide away.

There's no way of telling their age, but the platies look quite young.

A tank with a fully established filter is a must, if there is no filter fish in the water will poison themselves with ammonia which is a highly toxic waste product of the fish. The ammonia gets broken down into nitrite which is still toxic but not nearly as much as ammonia. Nitrite is then broken down into nitrate which is only toxic in excessively high levels. Please look into cycling a fish tank. Best of luck

In the future, ask questions about a fish before you buy them. Also, bear in mind that the guy at the fish store's job is to sell fish, not keep them alive. If they tell you something, ask us if its really true.
I recommend you read this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/
followed by this:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/417799-goldfish-for-beginners/

Different fish have very different needs, and you really need to look into them before purchase. I wouldn't put a goldfish in anything smaller than 26 gallons, and some people would say 26 is too small.
Picking fish has to do more with their compatibility with the others, and less do do with what looks "cute."
I really hope your fish survive. I recommend returning them (if that is an option) and learn what there is to learn.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back