I'm Gonna Try To Grow Algae. Crazy Huh?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I thought about this too but i actually wanted it to grow in my 10 gal tank because i liked the looks of hair algae but it doesnt just grow and then stay the size i want it :p

Whoa, I have never heard of this, bet my baby plecos would have a blast. Would a larger box or bucket work?

I think I've found the problem. I went out today and there was ice floating in the water. Growing algae make take longer than predicted. :-(

Ice? haha I thought you had the container sitting on the window sill inside :p might be better if the container was kept at a warmer temperature :/

I will leave it out there til it either grows algae or is evaporated. XD

what sort of alagae are you trying to grow, as i left a bottle of water on the window seal, for my bottled tank idea, and it got green dust algae very quickly and very well, i had a wood in there which also got covered but not as much seeming the sides were more covered than the items inside, but when i put this in the tank with my pleco's to clean it up and OMG the pleco's swarmed it haha and cleaned it all over night :D

To add to this thread after quite some time, I know most of my algae fish love eating the BBA, the best recipe for BBA is low end of brackish salinity, high light.   Our brackish tank gets ALOT of BBA and I take a stone and stick it near the top of the tank and grow 4" of BBA off of it in a few days, then transfer it over to the molly fry tank, where they all hang out in the fibers and munch all day long.

Update, all the water evaporated and all my work amounted to nothing. I'm too lazy to try again.

I tried something similar, I took a 3 gallon aquarium, some mesh and some fish waste and a lot of sunlight and within a month you could barely see half a inch into it because there was all kinds of algae mainly hairy types I took out the mesh and scraped it all off into a plastic tray up about a centimeter and let it dry once done I chopped it in tablets and tested it! 
My algae eater and cories love it! I am now 2 years into the project and not a bit of algae in the tank! Try it!

Most reactions

Back