I'm Going Away Tomorrow During A Tank Cycle? Advice Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bill1976

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've been cycling my tank for 3 weeks in 2 days time, ammonia dropped to 0. But has recently risen to 0.75, nitrite is now 0, and nitrates are 1, I'm going away for 2 days and am unsure on what to do, my thoughts are:

I can, do a test tomorrow, before I go away, and top up ammonia appropriately, then on the day I'm not here, get my mother to add 4ml of ammonia, she will not be able to test the water, I've been adding around 4ml recently going off the ammonia calculater, this sound ok?

Also is it normal for my ammonia level to rise slightly after it dropping to zero for a few days? Nitrates seem lower than they where also, is the tank near cycled?

Fish less cycle btw

Thanks

Going away for two days isn't a big deal. Add a full dose of ammonia before you leave and enjoy yourself. The cycle will be fine.

FYI, nitrates won't drop during the cycle. It's likely a false reading. That test is the hardest one to get right.

Thanks for that, just didn't want to stall it or upset where I'm already upto, is it normal for ammonia levels to increase slightly after dropping to zero?

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. Getting a reading of 0.25ppm every now and then... its normal. It's a false reading... Not a big deal.

Ok thanks,my ammonia reading seems to be sitting around .50-1, with nitrites consistently 0, 3 weeks into the cycle, I'm running 2 internal filters if that makes any difference?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back