I'm Back!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WayneVT08

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After my long hiatus from the board I'm trying to get back on.

There is a saltwater fish store opening right down the road from me and I'm hoping on getting hired there so I can get discounts and such on products. They aren't using local suppliers like most stores in my area. They are going overseas for everything, getting all their coral from the pacific and indian oceans. Nothing is coming from the states, unless you count Hawaii, but that is still overseas. Last night they got a shipment in from Belize, it was small but a lot of nice fish. About 6 Gray Angelfish and atleast 10 Blue Atlantic Tangs, they had nice deep blue color. Probably 5-6 Blue Faced Wrasses. Thank god we got them out of the boxes right when they got back to the store because they had been in the bags for atleast 24 hours. The only casualty I witnessed was one of the Gray Angelfish, it did a death circle. Basically flipped out and ran into the glass. So out of the 20-25 fish only one died within the first hour.

One of the Gray Angelfish was atleast 14-16 inches from mouth to the end of the tail. Huge.

Their display tank is also huge, its a 400 gallon tank.

The stock in the 400 as of yeasterday:
1x Scribbled Angelfish
1x Queen Angelfish
3x Saddleback Butterflyfish
1x Parrotfish (not sure on full name, just know its a parrot.)
4x Yellow Tang
1x Blue-Chin Trigger

Their next shipment should be amazing it's coming from all over the world.

Just a few of the fish in the next shipment are gonna be some Sargassum Triggerfish, a bunch of huge angels, more tangs, the list is endless, I saw the order and its literally pages long. I'll have to get a list of some of the fish to show you guys.

But here are some pics of the shop for you guys.

The front desk
DSC00390Small.jpg

DSC00391Small.jpg

600 gallon per day RO/DI unit
DSC00386Small.jpg

Coral Tanks before salt goes in
DSC00387Small.jpg

Nice little system there, theres two of these at the back of the store
DSC00388Small.jpg

There are two "shelves/book cases" there. Each one weighing about 1800 pounds a piece. There is also one in the back in storage. They were a pain in the a** to get those two into the store.
DSC00396Small.jpg

Those are real coral up on the top. The plate coral being about 2 feet across, and they are illegal to take off the reef nowadays and they were taken off before it became illegal and they are worth a TON!
DSC00397Small.jpg

The coral tanks after being filled with saltwater. It has about 400 pounds of live rock in it and the sump, it is 3 seperate tanks but all are in the same system. The two on the ends are around 160-180 gallons a piece and the one in the middle is about 60-70 gallons.
DSC00398Small.jpg

another seperate coral tank
DSC00403Small.jpg

Top: Queen Angelfish, Top Left: Scribbled Angelfish, then there is a yellow tang and in the middle is the parrotfish. It just came out of the indian ocean 2 weeks ago. It wasn't eating and 2 days ago we noticed that the place around the mouth was peeling and we can do nothing, it's gonna die, nothing we can do about it. It sucks.
DSC00393Small.jpg

The Scribbled and the Queen Angel
DSC00385Small.jpg

The Scribbled and the huge plate coral. Scribbled is about 8 inches from end to end so you can see how big that plate coral is.
DSC00384Small.jpg

Theres my reintroduction the board. Hope all is well. I still have the 75 sitting in the basement, nothing happening with that yet. But soon. I promise.

Good to be back!

good to have ya back :). Interesting lookin coral tanks, nice to see some easy-to-manage shallow ones

Yeah its different to sit back in front of a computer at home. I'm normally on it most at the store. Hopefully I can work there. It's coming along great. I'll try to have the owner take some more pics of the shipment that we just got in.

And I told my dad that I wanted at least a 500 gallon tank in my house when I get older and he laughed. And I told him he's gonna frame the wall for me. I've already got it planned out, gonna have about 1800 pounds of LR between the display and the sump. Sump and refugium is gonna be another 500 gallons. It's not gonna be a reef, but just with a whole bunch of fish and a bunch of angels in the display. I'm stoked about doing this again. Just sometimes you need to get back into the hobby and you just need to find the spark to do it for you. I found it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back