Identify Disease & Suggest Cure - Pseudotropus Acei

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

crunch7

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Everybody, I just came back from a 7 day holiday. While away i had added sera holiday food 2 pellets to my aquarium. Today after returning i have found that my pseudotropus acei has developed a rounded swelling near the mouth as highlighted in the picture. the fish is eating food and is active but I am not sure if this is  the result of a disease ( hope its not bloat) or anything else. Could anyone kindly help all other fish and water parameters are fine. Thanks in advance

Crunch

Attachments

• IMG_20160926_155828.jpg
    IMG_20160926_155828.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20160926_155923.jpg
    IMG_20160926_155923.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Screenshot_2016-09-26-15-54-17-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-26-15-54-17-1.png
    288 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_2016-09-26-15-55-34.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-26-15-55-34.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 210
Hmmm... It's doen't look reddish/irritated or like it might pop. I've seen tumors(possibly cysts) on a few fish in the past but they opened up on their own and pushed the infected mass out, and then healed over really well. Just from the pictures it doesn't look like anything is wrong. Perhaps while you were on vacation this particualar fish didn't eat from the food blocks so he might have a sunken in belly, which would make the area that's circled appear more pronounced. If it looks the same on the other side of the fish, then I would bet on him simply being a bit thin. Were the food blocks completely gone when you came home? 

As a side note, it won't hurt your fish if they go without food for a week while you are on vacation. In fact, I suggest not feeding them for vacations that are a week or less. (I only say this for the more hardy fish like cichlids and such) This helps keep the water quality good while you are away, and you don't have to worry about polluting the tank with uneaten food that an electric feeder or food block would produce. 

It doesn't look like sunken belly. I am really concerned as this acei is the most friendly fish in the tank. This swelling looks abnormal but the fish is showing no signs of stress. I am really confused here.

I'm honestly not sure what's wrong, or what to suggest...

Try doing a few large water changes, and make sure your water is hard enough and that the pH is high enough; African cichlids must have very hard, alkaline water to thrive.

Apart from that, all you can do is monitor the fish and post back if anything changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back