Identification Confirmation!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bubbles13

Reaction score
Im hoping somebody can help me here. Last week I was given 2 tanks. One Is a 20-25 Gallon & It has
2 fairly large frogs in it. I asked the person what type they were & all they told me 
was that they called them "Florida Frogs". They didn't know the actual type
the frogs are. So im hoping someone can tell me because id like to do some 
research & find out a little more about my new buddies! Ive heard that some frogs are illegal to have as pets, & unfortunately the previous owners gave me very little information about these guys. So please tell me anything you can!
Any information will be of help!

Attachments

• 20140104_225404.jpg
    20140104_225404.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 238
It looks to be an African Clawed Frog. From what I can see in the picture, I see 3 claws on the nearest foot. ADFs don't have those and stay much smaller than the ACFs. 

My knowledge is VERY limited on these guys though, so hopefully someone else will be along soon to help you out!

Are you able to get some better photos of the hind feet?

Yup definitely an african clawed frog. Either the normal morph or a black color form. Aren't ACFs illegal in Florida?

I don't know about Florida, but if the OP is in Canada like their profile says they are, they are legal to own there.

Doomchibi said:
I don't know about Florida, but if the OP is in Canada like their profile says they are, they are legal to own there.
Sorry, must've still been sleepy when i posted that. Then again, not because it is illegal doesn't mean nobody will try to sneak one in to gain profit.

The only fully aquatic frogs i know similar to the pic that are available in any pet trade are african dwarf frogs, african clawed frogs, budgett's frog and the surinam toad

Yea its a african clawed frog, had an albino one for 2 years sadly i had cory cats in there for a while because my 10 gallon was overstocked my freaking petsmart lady thought it would be ok, it was not he ate one and died the next day. Thinking because the barbels on his fins are very sharp and ripped his insides apart. :(
And no I live in Florida not illegal. They also need to get air every couple of minutes so leave room near your lid.
They like live foods like ghost shrimp and feeder guppies, also frozen fish cut up to their size. Very easy to care for also eat worms, black worms, blood worms, earthworms, etc.

Good news! I was researching Dolomedes (fishing spiders) when i came across...

..drum roll please..

Xenopus borealis and xenopus amieti!!

You might wanna check that out haha :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back