Ideas For Divided 10 Gallon With Bettas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have finally decided what I want to do with my 10 gallon tank. On the weekend I bought a beautiful red male veil tail betta (currently in quarentine) and I want to put him in my 10 gallon tank with my female (with a divider). I was thinking of making moss wall as a divider so that it blended in more, and I also wanted to replace my one sponge filter with two smaller corner sponge filters.

Anyways, on to my question. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should arrange the plants, rocks etc in the tank to make both sides look like they belong together. I want to keep the tank low tech, it has an led light (I can't remember the strength but it's good enough to keep anubias going) and the tank is heated to 78F. Currently the tank has java moss on a small driftwood, anubias on small driftwood, java ferns and marimo moss balls, but I would need more plants.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

An idea I have is that maybe you could make each side symmetrical?

I can't really help though, I'm no good at scaping.
online2long.gif

you could build a wall out of medium sized pebbles that has small long bits of wood leaning againsed it with moss growing on the wall
you could build a wall out of medium sized pebbles that has small long bits of wood leaning againsed it with moss growing on the wall

You may have clicked the post button too much, it happened to me on the chat once.

Anyway, what color is the divider?

LyraGuppi said:
An idea I have is that maybe you could make each side symmetrical?

I can't really help though, I'm no good at scaping.
online2long.gif

Haha, that's ok xD. Thanks for your idea :) That might look interesting. 

Also, the divider I currently own has a blue frame but it really stands out and has wide enough holes that you can see through it. 

SeanTrollope said:

That would also be really neat, instead of just a moss wall....actually...do you think creating a backdrop in the same way would look good or bad? I'm trying to picture this in my head. 

You will need to make sure that your divider is strong enough and fits very well. You also want to make sure it is tall enough so that it is a little more difficult for the fish to jump over the divider. I had two males in a divided ten gallon. It lasted about a week. I got a gorgeous plakat who nearly killed my handsome crowntail. In the end, with Phoenix in the hospital tank to nurse his injuries, the plakat jumped out of a tiny gap by the filter and, of course, fell four feet and died. Anyway, moral of the story: make sure your fish can't get around the divider. 

attibones said:
You will need to make sure that your divider is strong enough and fits very well. You also want to make sure it is tall enough so that it is a little more difficult for the fish to jump over the divider. I had two males in a divided ten gallon. It lasted about a week. I got a gorgeous plakat who nearly killed my handsome crowntail. In the end, with Phoenix in the hospital tank to nurse his injuries, the plakat jumped out of a tiny gap by the filter and, of course, fell four feet and died. Anyway, moral of the story: make sure your fish can't get around the divider. 

Thanks for the reminder Atticus, I will definetly make sure there is no chance of them getting on each others side. If they did end up together I know for sure I would lose Rainbow (my female), she is so much smaller than Festus (my male). 

If I were to try a divided tank, no less than 10 gallon, I would make 3 compartments. The end compartments being the same size and the middle one just large enough to house the filter and the heater. There are a few benefits for this: if one Betta were to get through his divider he'd still have another divider between him and his tank-buddy, both sides will get filtered and heated equally and less danger to injury at the filter intake or at the heater.

I know this is not what you have in mind since you want the tank to look seam-less, like they are connected even though they're not. But you still could make both sides look exactly alike giving it a mirror effect. :)

Meeresstille said:
If I were to try a divided tank, no less than 10 gallon, I would make 3 compartments. The end compartments being the same size and the middle one just large enough to house the filter and the heater. There are a few benefits for this: if one Betta were to get through his divider he'd still have another divider between him and his tank-buddy, both sides will get filtered and heated equally and less danger to injury at the filter intake or at the heater.

I know this is not what you have in mind since you want the tank to look seam-less, like they are connected even though they're not. But you still could make both sides look exactly alike giving it a mirror effect.
smile.png
I actually really like this idea! Thanks so much
biggrin.png

If I were to go this route should I probably go with a hang on back or canister filter instead of a sponge...or I suppose I could try a double Hamburger Matten filter.

Does anyone have any ideas for any other plants I should get? As I said before I currently have a tiny bit of java moss, marimo moss ball, anubias, java fern (both a medium sized one and around 8 babies). I do like the look of floating plants but I am unsure of which ones would look good with other plants and/or if floating plants would be compatible with certain plants (do to obstructing the light).

I use HOB filters and that's what I had in mind. Glad you like the idea, would love to see pics of your tank no matter what you will end up doing with it! :)

Meeresstille said:
I use HOB filters and that's what I had in mind. Glad you like the idea, would love to see pics of your tank no matter what you will end up doing with it!
smile.png
That sounds good
smile.png
 I'll see what filters I can find.  I'm starting to picture how I want this to work. 

Duck weed floats on the top and grows really fast and the bettas will eat the duckweed

skink_boy said:
Duck weed floats on the top and grows really fast and the bettas will eat the duckweed

I really want some duckweed, but I haven't see any in any of the fish stores near me! >.<

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back