Id This Spider Please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, this spider has taken up residence on our porch for the past few weeks, wondering what kind of spider it is.
smile.png

Sorry for the big and not so good quality pics, it was the best we could get with our camera. We're in Georgia if that helps somehow with what kind it may be. I'd also like to know the gender if that's possible with these pictures, we've been calling it a girl and named it Sheila
tongue2.gif
 Thanks!
002.jpg

004.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

no clue, although looks like id make a great snack for some hungry reptiles
biggrin.png

devil.gif

ncguppy830 said:
no clue, although looks like id make a great snack for some hungry reptiles
biggrin.png

devil.gif
Don't have any around here :p Just fish, cats, and a dog. And as for outside ones..I havn't really seen any in the past ~7 years we've lived here. Saw a little snake for the first time here a few weeks ago but that was it.

NC that pic is terrifying XD
Meeresstille that looks almost exactly the same, could be the lighting making it look just a smidge different so I think that is indeed what it is! And from a quick google they are not poisonous so..yay :p It is quite large so I think it is a female -shrug- Am a bit worried of it laying eggs but don't want to kill it either..hmm

I don't blame you, I feel the same way and wouldn't know how to decide, maybe I'd try to relocate it to a different area? I'm kind of fascinated by them, but at the same time creeped out. 

NC, is that a sandspider that escaped from someone's pet-enclosure? It's not a native species to North America is it?

Meeresstille said:
I don't blame you, I feel the same way and wouldn't know how to decide, maybe I'd try to relocate it to a different area? I'm kind of fascinated by them, but at the same time creeped out. 

NC, is that a sandspider that escaped from someone's pet-enclosure? It's not a native species to North America is it?
sadly thats a banana spider and while i dont know if its native its certtainly everywhere, and in North carolina
blink.png

unsure.png

ohmy.png

I could be wrong about this but with most spiders, the male is just for breeding and they rarely spin their own web. Plus males are usually a lot smaller than the females and most will get eaten if they don't get away fast enough.

I love spiders. When I catch flies in the house I take them outside and find the first web I see to throw them in there and watch the spider go to work.

That bird eater looks like a wolf spider. They do get quite large and I have seen some in Ohio that are almost as big as my hand.

its certainly not a wolf spider, but those are a problem too IMO.

That's what I'm saying Leo, I think it's a female. I just imagine if we have a female then surely there may be a male around and then there might be babies, which isn't good.
I am not a big fan of spiders but I kind of like seeing her outside when we come in every day, getting used to having her out there, so don't want to move her. It may be best to do that though..
I believe we saw a wolf spider on the ground the other day but could easily be wrong. In the years we've been here we havn't really seen many spiders and now all these :blink:

Yeah I was thinking banana spider too but I was thinking that they are south America but I could definitely be wrong about that

hmm i think the bird just flew in the web and the spider attacked it, most likely golden silk ord weaver but anyway there in the US and there well, scary .

My husband and I were once in Florida, where we saw these HUGE spiders all over in the trees and street lamps or signs......maybe that's what they were? I'm glad I live in Canada, the Winters are too cold for them here I imagine, lol!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back