Id This Algae Please... Number 2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sophos9

Fish Geek
Reaction score
Well, the green fuzz alage is going and since the upgrade, this new beast has appeared - very easy to wipe off

Its not the water thats green! Is this GDA - Green Dust Algae? If so, whats the best plan of attack?

Growing algae is lots of fun :lol:

tank_008.JPG

Hi there, thanks for that. Caused by low nutrients or CO2??? Bummer, I'm dosing full EI and trace, CO2 is pretty close to 30ppm and stable... I've just ordered an electronic PH tester with accuracy of 0.1 accuracy - should get CO2 spot on then

Its going to look gross... Does it go hard, slimy or what?

Hi there, thanks for that. Caused by low nutrients or CO2??? Bummer, I'm dosing full EI and trace, CO2 is pretty close to 30ppm and stable... I've just ordered and electronic PH tester from with accuracy of 0.1 accuracy - should get CO2 spot on then

Its going to look gross... Does it go hard, slimy or what?

omg.. i've only been on this board for a short while & you've had more type of algae than i ever knew existed.... at least i'm learning loads about algae reading your posts though !!!!!!! :hyper:

omg.. i've only been on this board for a short while & you've had more type of algae than i ever knew existed.... at least i'm learning loads about algae reading your posts though !!!!!!! :hyper:

:lol: I'm surprised anyone reads my posts, I think I'm pretty unlucky... :crazy:

Sophos i really don't understand lol.I have got tanks with med lighting and all they get is some hair algae and spot algae but that :blink: ...I feel sorry for you .I wonder what caused it?

Thats going to be the switch to your high lighting with 10 hours of light, drop it to 7ish. Also worth checking your po4 levels from your water source

Sophos i really don't understand lol.I have got tanks with med lighting and all they get is some hair algae and spot algae but that :blink: ...I feel sorry for you .I wonder what caused it?

I was bad in a previous life and now I'm paying it back... and guess what, the clowns got whitespot 3 nights ago! Now this may sound like I'm a bad fish keeper but I'm not, I do everything I can :blink:

Got my new glass drop check today, shame I cannot see it... it says in the instructions that if its green its at 30ppm, its green alright, VERY green!

Well I'm just going to leave it now and see what else "Lord of the Aquarium" can throw at me :no:

Thats going to be the switch to your high lighting with 10 hours of light, drop it to 7ish. Also worth checking your po4 levels from your water source

Yup, my bad.. I'm like an inpatient child, got new toys and I must play! The T8's were not blazing all the time.... Well for the first few days at least :blush:

PO4 from the tap... will test it right now

my tap p04 is that high i use potassium sulphate instead of potassium phosphate to fert the tank.. took me a while to suss that one out. Caused me a nice large dose of black hair algae, but i'm learnin'

By the end of all these trials sophos you'll be te guru of green!!!! I'll be coming to you with my algae queries.

PO4 from the tap is between 0.5 and 1, thats not bad is it?

I'm sitting here watching the ottos making strangely attractive spiral patterns in the algae... yea this is what fish keeping is all about!

not bad at all.. mine varies from 5-10+ ppm. I'd rather be in your shoes! As far as the p04 goes... not the algae ^_^

Not caused by high phosphate or too much of anything else. A large increase in light without good CO2 and ferts is the most likely reason. Not touching it is the best way to get rid as it needs to complete it's life cycle. Constant glass scraping won't make it go away and can make it worse. Ever hear people say 'I never touch my glass and it stays clear', now you know why.

I know how you feel about algae. When I started I got everything, but I learnt from it. Every algae I've listed on my webpage I've had. This is why the methods I've listed I know work, because they are what I use.

Back to your GDA. It can become quite gross and sometimes you can't even see inside the tank. It does change to become a brownish colour and can become patchy. Patience is the key here and hide that glass scraper.

James

Good man, another fellow algae breeder albeit retired :lol:

Will let it go full cycle :good:

Just another observation today.... :no:

The water in the tank is pretty cloudy with a green tinge to it and there is a scum which has formed on the surface, any ideas?

Cheers

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back