Id For A Plant

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LacertaIlla

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Can I get an ID for this plant please? And could someone perhaps tell me what I can do so it doesn't look as sad?

IMG_20160422_094513.jpg

Hi it looks to be an anubias, not too sure why it looks that way poss an imbalance in nutrients? what is your water like in terms of ph and hardness? also temp, do you dose any plant foods? I  have found them relatively easy to keep.

That is most definitely a very sad anubias.  Not sure the specific species because of its condition.  

The first thing I'd do is trim it way back.  Any dead or dying leaves would be removed, even if it means that ALL the leaves are gone.  The key is that the rhizome (the horizontal 'stem') needs to be a nice vibrant green color.  If it is, it will grow back leaves.    I'd also trim the 'roots' coming off the rhizome.  

Ultimately, something is most definitely amiss with this plant.  One thing to note about these plants... they are very slow growing plants under normal conditions.  So, if they are kept in a brightly lit area (as this appears to be) it can lead to algae growth over the plant itself, leading to the leaves dying.  So, any algae needs to be removed, the plant needs some light for about 6-10 hours a day, but not tons of light.  There may be an imbalance in the nutrients, but generally speaking these plants are super easy and require nothing that the fish waste in the water wouldn't already be providing.  Unless your water is extremely soft, I don't see the need to add any supplements for the sake of the plant.  If, conversely, the tank is extremely lightly stocked and you have have soft water, then adding some ferts would give it a bit of a 'boost'.

You might also want to consider splitting the rhizome.  It appears to have some 'branching' happening along the rhizome.   But, I wouldn't split the rhizome until the plant starts putting out some fresh leaves and the leaves are a fairly nice size.  Then, don't trim the rhizome to be a section any smaller than having at least 3 full sized leaves on it.

Indeed that little anubias does looks sad.

Eaglesaquarium has given good advice in helping this plant to bounce back.

That tank in your picture looks empy if you don't mind my saying so, not even looks like if it has any substrate. Is there anything else in this tank?

Usually the waste from fish, shrimps and snails all help contribute towards the 'feeding' of plants in the aquarium. Therefore am wondering if you have cycled or in the process of cycling this tank?

I've only just received the tank from my uncle. Blame him for the plant looking sad. 
tongue2.gif

It does get 6-10 hours of light, and it is in direct sun for 2 maybe 3 hours (the tank is currently sitting near a window and it's still really hot here atm in Australia so I close the blinds to attempt to keep the house (and the tank) cool) but that's it. It just looks like it gets a lot of light due to the glare on the bottom of the tank.

As for PH and water hardiness? I have no idea. I plan on buying a full on test kit once I have the funds (and after I've bought some gravel/pebbles).

I'm not putting any plant fertilizer in the tank currently, but I'm considering it once I go and buy/collect more plants for the tank.

Temps sit anywhere between 25ºc- 30ºc (77ºf - 86ºf).

I currently only have one Bala Shark in the tank (planning on eventually getting one maybe two more as I've read they are shoaling fish and need company) but I do plan on putting other fish in the tank eventually, once the tank itself has some more plants and they're established.

For now, I just need to focus on making the plant I currently have happy.

i am a little concerned about water temperature  keepa close eye on it when the sun it hitting the tank.  It might be spiking higher for a short time when the sun hits the tank.   In the long run you might have to move the tank away from the window to avoid algae issues.  My understanding is that in the wild is that it typically grow under the shade of trees.  At noon on a clear day sunlight brightness will typically be above 20,000 lumens.  most aquarium light are  below 10,000 lumen.  

I would put priority on getting a test kit that tests for PH, KH, GH, nitrite and nitrate.  These valve can have an impact on what fish and to a lesser extend what plants you stock.  If you water is very hard you might be limited fish that do well in hard water.  

I do keep an extremely close eye on it, but the tank never gets above 30°c, I am paranoid about cooking Bruce, so I keep a very close eye on my temps.

I just finished cutting off all the dead/dying leaves from the plant, it looks a little bit better...kinda... There are three rhizomes on the log, but I don't want to cut them off until I have something else to attach them to, so I need to look at how on earth to treat a log to put put in my aquarium. That's today's job.

I will probably save up for both gravel and the test kit as I really want the gravel (I really dislike the look of bare bottom tanks) but I need the test kit. It's the exact same water my uncle had though (he lives 500 meters down the road) and he used to have a bunch of different fish in the tank and they looked to be doing alright.

Should I also invest in some plant fertilizer or should I just wait until I have some more fish and see if it perks up then?

Should I also invest in some plant fertilizer or should I just wait until I have some more fish and see if it perks up then? 
I would you recommend a fertilizer.  I use Seachem Fuorish compreshensive.  I can get it cheap on Amazon.com although shipping cost would be extra.  i don't know what it would cost in Australia.  Should you do that or buy the fish?  tough call.  It depends on how long the plant can hold out and I don't have any idea on that.  It also would depend on how long it would take you to get the funds to buy the fish and how important that plant is to you.  If you get the fertilizer the plant could hold out until more fish could be added.  So I think I would go for the fertilizer but it is your decision.

http://www.amazon.com/Flourish-100-3-4-fl-oz/dp/B0002A5X3W/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1461540450&sr=1-13&keywords=flourish+comprehensive

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well it's held out this far, I think it can hold on a little longer.

I would prefer to make the living things that I already have happy, so fertilizer it is. I can't remember exactly how much Seachem Flourish is from my LPS, I think it's in the $10 - $20 range, I'll have a proper look next time I go in. I plan on making this a planted tank eventually anyway so having some fertilizer on hand isn't such a bad idea.

Thankyou all for the help. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back