Id Algae In New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I just setup a new 55gl planted tank. I cycled without fish and it took 16 days. It was this fast because I used the substrate from my old tank that had been running for 3 years.

Photoperiod is 12 hrs a day on Sunday (just changed this from 6 hours a day because I read a book on aquarium plants and it states strongly that the plants need 12 hrs to do their best)
Light is 4 T5 HO 54W 48in daylight all over 6500K.
I use co2 injection for the duration of the photoperiod, 1 drop every 2 seconds.
I dosed macroferts (API Leaf Zone with potassium, iron) when I put the plants in on day 10 of the cycle, I dosed again when I did the 65% WC when cycle was complete.
Substrate is a plant formulated gravel. 
Fish were added on Friday.

My plants are as follows 
Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
Hygrophila (Hygrophila corymbosa)
Dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
Midground:
Ludwigia Peruensis (Ludwigia glandulosa)
Ludwigia -broad (Ludwigia repens)
Anubias nana
Background:
Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis)
Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri)
Amazon sword (Echindorus bleberi)
Argentine sword (Echinodorus argentinensis)
Java fern (Microsorium pteropus)
and 2 moss balls that I just added yesterday

I noticed an algae bloom about 5 days after adding the first bulk of plants. At first I thought it was the normal diatom bloom that happens in new aquariums and didn't worry about. It could still be I don't know but I need to know what it is and if there is anything I should do about it.

this is a full shot of the tank before it go this bad. this was saturday 

Thanks. It looks just like the "Diatoms, Brown Algae" pics on that site. I have 5 otos I just added yesterday and when I do the water change I was to scrub it off. That's what that site says to do. Thanks again.  

Yes, I would think diatoms too, though I see evidence of other algae forming.  The otos will eat diatoms ravenously, and as diatoms are frequently present in new set-ups I would hope this will abate as things become settled biologically.

However, you light is very, very bright.  You have CO2 so that is fine, and you will need daily dosing of nutrients to balance this light/CO2.  If I read your initial post correctly, you are only using API Leaf Zone?  This is not going to do it.  You must add all the nutrients required, 17 (this includes carbon which is of course the CO2).  MOst people with high-tech systems use dry ferts as they are cheaper.

On the light, you do not "need" 12 hours.  George Farmer wrote in PFK that you can go down to six hours if necessary.  The photoperiod needs to balance the nutrients.  When this balance is achieved, plants will photosynthesize to the max and algae will not have the advantage.  I am still concerned over your intense light; if it becomes obvious, can you have just two tubes light?

Byron.

Can you tell what a good fert would be to order? There are 3 pet shops in this town and none of them have anything but the iron and potassium supplements. I really miss my old aquarium store, they had everything. And to be honest I am little confused about what product to get and I am horrible at DIY anything.

okay ferts to use would be EI method its far the best and cheapest, the algae you are getting is the same algae i am getting in my new tank so you are doing nothing wrong,

but theferts you need to look for are on this site altho this site is UK based so you will need to locate the required salts over in the US but this site will give you a general understanding on what you need to get and how to add it

http://blog.fluidsensoronline.com/calculators/estimative-index/

Ok so I lessened the photoperiod to 10 hours and changed one of the 10000k bulbs to a useless actenic bulb. I think its getting better. I did a 25 gallon WC today and siphon a ton of algae out with it. Looks a lot better. I am still looking for the microferts. There is a big aquarium store in Charlotte about 40 minutes away that I will check. Thanks for the help. Hopefully after all the work i did the otos will stand a chance. lol

Most reactions

trending

Back